Whirlpool WRF757SDEM not defrosting fridge warming

Jeremyhartley

Premium Member
I am having a similar problem. I have the same model refrigerator. WRF757SDEM. It first happened in October. We came home from being out of town and everything in the freezer had melted and things in the fridge went bad. I unplugged the refrigerator and pulled it out and cleaned everything up.

I then plugged it back in and it started running like normal. It was perfectly cold in a couple hours. My guess is that it had frozen up then shut itself off. Everything melted including the coils and then unplugging it “reset” it and it started working again. We had the refrigerator exactly two years and two weeks at that point.

Two weeks past the extended warranty so whirlpool wouldn’t do anything for us. It has worked fine for a full three months but we woke on Christmas morning and noticed it was very loud. The freezer wasn’t as cold as it should be neither was the fridge. I cleaned out the freezer in order to save the food. As I did I noticed the back of the freezer had ice on it.

I took off the back panel and all the coils were full of ice. I melted all the ice with a hair dryer and put things back together. The coils in the fridge section are not frozen. Now my question is what steps do I take to figure out what is wrong and what needs to be replaced.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a defrost problem so do this;

Enter service mode and check if the defrost heater comes on. Use this diagram for the switch numbers:
R-displayswitch numbers.jpg

Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds.

Release both buttons when you hear the CHIME indicator.

Unit must not be in Lockout prior to entering SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE.

The display will show 01 to indicate the control is in step 1 of the diagnostics routine.

Each step must be manually advanced. Press SW5 to move to the next step in the sequence.

Press SW4 to back up in the sequence to the previous step.

Each step is displayed in the two digits of the dispenser user interface display.

The step results are displayed in the two digits on dispenser user interface display 2 seconds after the step number is displayed.

An amber order filter light will be shown to designate that the step number is being displayed

A red replace filter light will be shown to designate that the status of the step is being displayed.

Run the following test:

Service Test - 6: Defrost Heater/Bi-metal

Heater should be on. Display will be blank until a valid reading is displayed 01 = bi-metal closed, 02 = bi-metal open.

To EXIT SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS MODE:

Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds, disconnect the product from power or wait 20 minutes.

Following the exit of the diagnostic mode, the controls will then resume normal operation.

rickgburton

Staff member
Did the heater turn on? If the defrost heater turned on, the control board needs to be replaced: W10843055 Cntrl-Elec

If the heater did not turn on you'll need to check it for continuity.

Jeremyhartley

Premium Member
Ok, sorry it took forever to get back on here. I had back surgery and was recovering. The refrigerator seemed like it was not as cold as it should so I opened it back up. I entered the service mode and did test 6. I got back an 01 code. The heater turned on and heated up the cooling fins. All the ice quickly melted off. So that means I need a new control board?

rickgburton

Staff member
Correct, if you still have a defrost problem. When you "opened it up" were the coils packed in snow or heavy frost?

I know I'm late to the party but a warranty repair vendor just came to check my Whirlpool french door fridge that is no longer cooling. They showed me the frozen vents that are stopping cool air from entering the fresh food section.

I ran Service Test - 38: Force Defrost, and selected "long," but it doesn't work. I even tried the "short" duration to no avail. I hear a few sounds after exiting service mode but nothing else happens.
i ran Service Test - 6: Defrost Heater/Bi-metal and received a 02 = bi-metal open.

My question is now do I close the bi-metal so I can get a 01 = bi-metal closed reading so I can turn on the heater in Test 6? Thanks in advance.

rickgburton

Staff member
The defrost thermostat needs to be below 40°F to close and show continuity. You can check it with a meter. It's mounted to one of the top coils of the evaporator. It only comes with the evaporator fan motor and wire harness