• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool WRF954CIHV00 Fridge temp 50+ Degrees

dbhinnant

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF954CIHV00
Brand
Whirlpool
I keep thermometers in my freezer and my refrigerator. A couple of days ago I noticed the fridge was warm. I ran the temp setting all the way down as far as it would go (33). The freezer is set to 1. The fridge is not going below 50 degrees and the freezer is -11. Before taking everything out and looking at the coils I ran some of the diagnostic tests from the door panel. The pantry and ice maker tray thermistors registered open. I know just enough to be dangerous. Are these thermistors my problem or do I need to look for something else?

dbhinnant

Premium Member
I found someone to come out. They saw ice buildup on the evaporator coil and ordered the cover assembly which includes the fan motor, wire assembly and thermistor. After a week, I can see the same ice buildup happening.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did the tech that came out completely defrost the refrigerator evaporator coil when he/she installed the new cover assembly(which includes the fan motor, wire assembly and thermistor)?

Run these diagnostics tests below and see if the RC(refrigerator compartment) defrost heater comes on.

Service Test - 90 Run RC Defrost Heater
• When entering this service test, defrost heater turns on and stays on for 5 minutes or until the evaporator thermistor goes above 60°F.
• “ON” will be displayed while the operation is executed.
Service Test - 91 Run a Forced Defrost
• Activates the forced defrost.
• When “ON” is selected and exiting Service mode, defrost will be executed.
• When “OFF” is selected and exiting Service mode, defrost will NOT be executed. To advance between control mode “ON” or “OFF” Use “+” or “-” key. Once desired setting is selected, push “Drawer” key to activate then “Max Cool” to exit this mode.

Here's your tech. data sheet:

Attachments

• TechSheet-W11097245-RevA.pdf
    489.1 KB · Views: 48

dbhinnant

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply. The tech used a steam gun to clear enough ice to be able to remove the old assembly (which came apart due to how much ice there was). He removed some more ice after it was off but did not do a complete defrost. I ran the two tests but did not hear anything happening. How do I know for sure the heater came on or not?

dbhinnant

Premium Member
This is what it looked like just before he insalled the cover.

Attachments

• 20220923_172246.jpg
    20220923_172246.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 52

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
. He removed some more ice after it was off but did not do a complete defrost.
He should of done a FULL defrost before putting the evaporator cover back in place.

I ran the two tests but did not hear anything happening. How do I know for sure the heater came on or not?
You should feel heat from the defrost heater below that evaporator coil, but you need to have the all wire connections plugged in when you do those tests. You should hear like sizzling sound of frost heating that defrost heater after a few minutes in those tests.

Jake

dbhinnant

Premium Member
He should of done a FULL defrost before putting the evaporator cover back in place.
Could this be the issue?

You should feel heat from the defrost heater below that evaporator coil, but you need to have the all wire connections plugged in when you do those tests. You should hear like sizzling sound of frost heating that defrost heater after a few minutes in those tests.

Jake
Now that it's frozen over completely again would the forced defrost be able to work? I have the refrigerator completely back together so all connections should be made assuming he got them all back where they should be. I did not have access to the heater while doing the tests but did not hear any sizzling. Am I understanding the instructions correctly that once you see "on" for the forced defrost, you back out and exit the service menu in order for it to run? I have been in the process today of acquiring a freezer and fridge to transfer everything into so I can unplug it to do a manual defrost so that I can remove that cover assembly.

dbhinnant

Premium Member
Update: I've ran the forced defrost several times and can see a reduction in the ice. I'm also hearing some faint sizzling now. I have not disassembled the fridge yet. I am just keeping an eye on the gap below the evaporator cover where I can see the ice. I also reached out to the tech and he is telling me the only other part that could be causing the issue is the defrost relay on the main board. Is this true? Could diagnostics been done in the beginning to discover this?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Could this be the issue?

Could this be the issue?
Yes, a FULL defrost of that evaporator coil is NEEDED for proper results after the tech replaced that part.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Update: I've ran the forced defrost several times and can see a reduction in the ice. I'm also hearing some faint sizzling now. I have not disassembled the fridge yet. I am just keeping an eye on the gap below the evaporator cover where I can see the ice. I also reached out to the tech and he is telling me the only other part that could be causing the issue is the defrost relay on the main board. Is this true? Could diagnostics been done in the beginning to discover this?
No, if you hear the sizzling, that indicates the defrost heater is working.

Jake

dbhinnant

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. My fingers are crossed that everything is good after defrost. I will post back results.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hopefully so. 🤞

dbhinnant

Premium Member
I put it all back together. Now we wait... There was a tab of metal and foam that I was not sure about (See pics). It wouldn't go inside the cover so I left it outside. When I took the cover off I noticed the temp sensor was loose. I wasn't 100% where it should go based on the pics in the service manual. I clipped it on the tube coming out of the evaporator just above the "bump". I ran the forced defrost but didn't feel any heat. I'm guessing it was because it was still warm or the door was not back on yet?

Attachments

• 20221004_203539.jpg
    20221004_203539.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20221004_192359.jpg
    20221004_192359.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20221004_203413.jpg
    20221004_203413.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 40

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, good, you defrosted the entire evaporator coil too?

Jake

dbhinnant

Premium Member
Yes. I left it unplugged overnight and let all the ice melt. Fridge temp is close to setting so far but it took a couple of days last time. The freezer temp has me concerned. It's set to 5F and is currently -17F.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have the evaporator cover back in place?

Everything is assembled?

Jake

dbhinnant

Premium Member
Evaporator cover is back in place. I didn't put all the shelves back. I wanted to see if the fridge would hold temp before putting everything back in. I was seeing the low freezer temps before replacing the cover also. I plan to put everything back in today.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, how's it doing now?

Jake

dbhinnant

Premium Member
I left it empty while I was out of town over the long weekend. The fridge is still holding at 37 degrees. The freezer is -8. So far so good.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.(y)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.