FIXED Whirlpool WRF989SDAM03 Gold not cooling properly. Showing proper voltage. Evap/Fan not working.

jaydew

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF989SDAM03
Brand
Whirlpool
First post. Hopefully, I can explain properly. Thanks in advance for your help:

I have a Whirlpool WRF989SDAM03 French Door(Freezer on Bottom) unit. After using for a while the refrigerator does not cool properly, however the freezer and ice maker does. My initial thoughts were air flow issues. I checked the Evaporator Fan and it wasn't on. I bought one, which didn't work either. I checked continuity on the old one and new one and both show continuity. I also checked the attached Defrost Thermostat both showed continuity once they reached closing limits. I next checked the circuit boards(there are three). The junction point for power to the Evap Fan/Motor for this unit is P14, which, per service sheet, should be 14VDC. I am getting 14V at the wire harness from the constants to each wire for that P14 FC/RC harness. I then checked from the freezer side the wire harness in which I am also getting 14V. So, at this point I am at a loss. My only other thoughts would be a control board issue or perhaps a harness issue...but why is the proper power reaching the Evap Fan harness in the freezer but still no action out of two different Evap Fans? BTW, harness is properly grounded. Thoughts??

Oh, I also put the unit in diagnostic mode and the unit isn't picking up error codes for the FC/RC Evap Motor test.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I am getting 14V at the wire harness from the constants to each wire for that P14 FC/RC harness.
I don't know what that says, sorry. Check for a constant 14 VDC across P14-6 & P14-7 on the main control board. If the voltage is correct connect your meter to P14-3 and P14-4 and leave it there. Then go back into the service diagnostics and run Test 3

Service Test - 3: Evaporator Fan and Air Baffle Motors

Control the RC and FC evaporator fan motors by depressing SW3 01= both fan motors off. 02 = FC fan on.
Depress SW3 once to advance. Service Test 3 will flash quickly and advance to tests 13/23 very quickly. The result is RC fan on, pantry air damper on. Pantry air damper will open and close automatically (13 = damper open, 23 = damper closed). Verify airflow inside pantry on left hand side when damper is open (13 displayed). Airflow in pantry will cease when “23” is displayed. Depress SW3 to advance to last step (04 = both RC and FC fans on). Verify 14 VDC

jaydew

Premium Member
Okay. I have tested the voltage across P14-6 & P14-7 and have a constant 13.81VDC. I also ran Service Diagnostic Test 3 with leads across P14-3 & P14-4. Here are my results:
RC Voltage Readings
Step 1 = 0VDC
Step 2 = 0VDC
Step 3 = 13.8VDC(13) & 13.8VDC(23)
Step 4 = 13.8VDC
I did verify that there is airflow inside the pantry when the damper was open.

I also ran Service Diagnostic Test 3 with the leads across P14-1 & P14-2:
FC Voltage Readings
Step 1 = 0VDC
Step 2 = 13.82VDC
Step 3 = 0VDC
Step 4 = 13.8VDC

Thoughts?

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

jaydew

Premium Member
My apologies. I just realized when you quoted me that I didn't specify that it was the freezer evaporator fan that wasn't on, not the RC which is working. Which brings me to my confusion. The FC evaporator fan was replaced and still didn't come on. I checked them both for continuity and made sure both fans spun freely...they did. That's my current confusion. Why am I getting the correct FC voltage but neither fan comes on.

Last edited:

jaydew

Premium Member
Please disregard the previous post. I just retested the most recent fan and it IS indeed damaged. I retested with a different meter and am NOT getting continuity in either fan. I will replace and see if that's the culprit. Turns out I had a shorted multimeter. Thanks again, and I will update with finding when possible.

jaydew

Premium Member
I received the new fan. Installed and ran Service Diagnostic Test 3 and the fan came on with strong air flow. I'm going to let cool and go through a couple of defrost cycles, however I think we found the problem. Will keep you posted if things change. Thanks again for your help.