• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool WRF993FIFM00 Refrigerator not cold enough and no ice

Dirtdobber

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF993FIFM00
Brand
Whirlpool
My refrigerator quit cooling after I had a circuit problem in my house. Repairman replaced the gf2 board but the unit isn't right, and repairman disappeared.

Freezer will freeze but refrigerator will only get to 47 degrees or so. I bought the service manual and here's what I know:
GF2 board tests to be the correct version
RC evaporator is not freezing.
RC fan test passes
FC fan test passes
Air baffle test passes
Ice box and pantry thermistor test passes
RC and Rc evaporator thermistor test passes
Service test 40 is where it gets interesting-it won't go beyond step 1. At step 1 I can hear the chatter of the 3 way valve bur nothing else. I tested the resistance of the 3 way and it ohms out correctly. Also, test 40 locks up the user interface. I have to unplug the machine to get back to normal.

For what it's worth, I checked the DC voltage on the GF2 board atP6. I get 12.56 volts when the manual says 12.7 volts. Is this within tolerance?

Any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
WFR993FIFM00 doesn't pull up as good, please recheck it.

Jake

Dirtdobber

Premium Member
I'm attaching a pic (I hope)

Attachments

• 16526289293407880947871935521112.jpg
    16526289293407880947871935521112.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 21

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, so its WRF993FIFM00 Thanks, that one pulls up as good.

RC evaporator is not freezing.
That sounds like the problem then, that evaporator coil should have a thin layer of frost on it to cool properly.

For what it's worth, I checked the DC voltage on the GF2 board atP6. I get 12.56 volts when the manual says 12.7 volts. Is this within tolerance?
Yes.

So its possibly that 3-way valve is mechanically not working properly.

So, it would be best to contact Whirlpool at 1-866-698-2538 to have a authorized Whirlpool tech. come out, that involves the sealed system.

Jake

Dirtdobber

Premium Member
Thank you Jake.

Let me share something else this unit does. Out of the blue, it will start alarming with a 6 note melody (not the door open too long alarm), the relays on the GF2 board will cycle through some clicks, and the lights on the water/ice dispenser will blink on and off. I don't believe the blinking lights are in sequence with the clicking relays.

I can turn cooling off on the eyebrow panel and turn it back on and it clears the problem. Do you think a mechanically bound 3 way valve could impact the electronics and create this reaction? I'm trying to rule out an electronics problem versus a mechanical valve problem.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you think a mechanically bound 3 way valve could impact the electronics and create this reaction?
That's a good question, but I don't know. I've not run into this problem before on my service calls as of yet.

Hopefully another tech. or member that has, can answer that for you.

Jake