• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool WRS571CIDM01 water leaking from ice dispenser - Fixed

Phroggy

Premium Member
Model Number
WRS571CIDM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hopefully this can help someone else:

The plastic ice maker was cracked near where it attached to the door.

I have a WRS571CIDM01 side by side refrigerator that started leaking water out of the ice dispenser in the door.
When I opened the door, I found that all of the ice in the ice container was frozen into a solid block.

While working in the kitchen, I heard what sounded like the icemaker harvest motor operate and then heard water dispensing (I assume it was refilling the tray) but I didn't hear any ice cubes drop.
I removed the ice bucket (which was a bit wet and looked up at the ice tray position.
The ice tray appeared to be in the correct position so I pulled the front cover off of the icemaker and found significant ice buildup on the ice tray and around it.

Using towels and careful application of warm water, I was able to melt the excess ice and remove the ice from the ice maker tray.
I dried everything off, reattached the front cover, turned on the icemaker, and let everything run overnight.
In the morning I found water leaking from the ice dispenser again.

I uncovered the icemaker to see what was happening and there was again a buildup of ice. The tray was not dispensing but was then being refilled.
Upon closer inspection, I noticed a crack on the backside of the icemaker assembly.
I applied a slight CW torque to the ice tray and observed the plastic flex right at the crack.
I believe that this was preventing the assembly from applying a enough twist to the ice tray to force the ice out.
Since the motor rotated to the proper position, the system "sees" that a full harvest cycle is complete and then proceeds to the refill step...

I replaced my icemaker with a new unit and everything is working perfectly.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for posting what was going on with your ice maker.(y)

Here's the ice maker for your model, in case others need it too:
W10873791 Ice Maker

For others following your thread, this video shows you how to replace it:

Jake

Phroggy

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! I am so glad that I stumbled upon this forum. It is incredibly helpful!

I wasn't planning on posting anything but I decided to after I couldn't find another post that mentioned the broken plastic as the root cause of the issue.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks! (y)

Jake