Whirlpool WRX735SDBM knocking noise/possible cooling issue

edged1g

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX735SDBM
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a a whirlpool WRX735SDBM french door with drawer fridge that is making a knocking sound. The fridge was purchased 11/2016 and it always had a slight knock when the compressor came one. Initially lasted 1 to 2 seconds. I contacted Whirpool about it and was told it was normal, but to contact them again if it got worse. Here were are in early 2019 and the sound has gotten progressively worse. The knocking can last up to 10-12 seconds now.

In addition to the knocking, the fridge doesn't seem as cold as it should be and seems to take a long time to get back down to temp after being opened. The second thing is more of a "feel" but i measured the temp in the fridge with a digital thermometer and with the fridge set at 34* I am measuring 38.7. Is that a normal variance? Shouldn't it be a little closer to my set temp with it being digitally set?

I purchases the fridge from home depot and while the manufacturer's warranty has expired, I purchased the HD protection plan for 5 years. I called them to file a claim and the good news is they were helpful and responsive. The bad news? The "authorized Whirlpool repair company in my area is: yelp.com/biz/quaker-city-service-philadelphia

I was hoping to get some help (again) from the good people on this site to see if i there is anything i can attempt to fix this issue before having this shady repair company out to my home.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Can you pinpoint where the knocking sound is coming from? Inside the refrigerator section there is a air damper and it maybe be coming from that, that also also controls the cold air coming into the refrigerator section. There is a door in the air damper that opens and closes with temperature and the door may be stripping in the air damper causing both problems your having.

Can you make a video of the knocking sound? You can upload the video to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

Here's the air damper for your model:
Damper Control Assembly WPW10196393

There is a video in the part link that shows you how to access/replace it.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

edged1g

Premium Member
Can you make a video of the knocking sound?
Jake
Just wanted to give an update. I am still working on this part. Having trouble catching it and being ready to record when it happens. Might have to set up a camera and let it run then trim the video. I'll work on it more. Hopefully it will provide some insight.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

edged1g

Premium Member
I did put a claim in with the warranty company which is how i found out who the repair company was. They were supposed to contact the repair company and call me to set up an appointment. Long story short, i got no contact, but they showed up at my house this morning. His words were "your contract doesn't cover a noise. they will only cover if something breaks". He did a diagnostic check and said everything was fine. So I am on my own regardless. Still trying to capture a video.

edged1g

Premium Member
I broke down and just bought the part Jake recommended. I installed it today. The first couple times the knock was very short and faint, but then a loud 5-6 second knock happened just like the old ones. Any other ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I would need to hear the video first.

Just take the video with your smartphone and upload the video to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

Jake