• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool WRX735SDBM00 Won't Dispense Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

joedotmac

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX735SDBM00
Brand
Whirlpool
Harvester fails to rotate on expected cycles, doesn't initiate to move ice out of tray.

Placed the unit into maintenance mode holding the ice and lock button for three seconds, then using the lock button to select test 25. Removed front cover of ice maker.

Can get the unit to harvester to rotate and dump ice by jumping T&H (closing thermostat) for three seconds

Voltage at L&N 126 volts
Resistance L&H mold heater 52 ohms
Resistance L&M motor 58 ohms - Should be higher above 4400 ohms?
Resistance V&N water valve solenoid 262 ohms
Resistance T&H temperature thermostat ~ infinite (spec should be closed or 0 ohms if freezer temp below 15?)
Voltage T&H 122 volts /w side door closed

Does the thermostat need to close for the harvester to rotate? Guessing yes as this is what the jumper across T&H accomplishes?

Anything I'm missing? Replace the thermostat?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The temperature in the ice maker compartment has to be 16 degrees or lower at all times for it to make ice continually.

If your temperature is good, then the problem is the ice maker itself.

Here's the ice maker kit for your model you can order:
W10882923 Icemaker

The new one is a upgraded ice maker kit, you must install the new wiring harness that comes with it, I've replaced about 5 of these same ice maker kits in my area in the last couple years and all worked perfect!

This video shows you how:

Jake

joedotmac

Premium Member
Using two digital thermometers I'm getting a range of 20-22F degrees inside the ice maker compartment. This is with the temp control of the unit set at a maximum of -5F. The lower freezer where the evaporator is located has a temperature range 4-8F degrees.

The refrigerator portion I'm seeing a range of 39-42 degrees with the unit configured for a maximum of 33 degrees.

Just finished cleaning the coil, it's making some difference. Not sure it will be enough.

I got two or three ice harvests in the last 24 hours. I'm seeing a about a 2 to 3 degree benefit over the above stated temperatures. Now seeing 0-4F degrees in the lower freezer

Low on freon?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you hear the ice maker fan running in the ice maker compartment?

Jake

joedotmac

Premium Member
I've been monitoring this for a few days.

I didn't know what I was looking for previously on the ice maker fan configuration, pulled the entire ice maker assembly out of the compartment.

Upon reinstalling and doing more investigating I can state the fan is "now" working. I don't recollect previously there being any air coming out of the side vent of the ice maker compartment into the general area of the refrigerator. That stated, months previous to this I would get an oscillating fan noise like the blades were contacting the side of a fan case, almost as if the center bearing shaft was worn. Sound reminded me of the oscillating that I've expedience previously on desktop computers. I could move the fridge on the tile slightly and the noise would change or go away. The noise seemed like it was on the left side of the fridge, but now I know it's actually toward the back.

Upon reinstalling I can note the fan is running without issue. Temperatures in the ice maker compartment are now 8 to 12 degrees. Near or below the vent into the general refrigerator area I'm seeing 33 to 35 degrees.

If the issue is the fan on the back side of the ice maker, is this a component repair or is it the entire ice maker assembly? Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

joedotmac

Premium Member
Monitoring this for two additional weeks. Ice maker is making plenty of ice, fan operates without issue or noise. Observed temperatures are within nominal values. I do believe this was the issue however with everything that was looked over. I'll bookmark this link and report back if the situation changes. Thanks Jake for the identifying the part if the fan does decide to act up again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Joe, sounds good.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.