• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool WRX986SIHZ00 Ice Maker not making ice/inconsistent temperature control in fridge and freezer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg_in_NC

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX986SIHZ00
Brand
Whirlpool
I have been fighting with my Whirlpool refrigerator/freezer for three weeks now. First, the ice started melting in the ice bin and ice would not work unless the "Fast Ice" setting was engaged. Then the ice maker stopped altogether. I went searching on the Google machine and found out how to go into the diagnostic menu and found that the ice maker had an error code of E5. Youtube told me that I had a bad thermistor in the ice maker and that it should be replaced. So I ordered and replaced the ice maker last weekend; still no ice and the E5 error code after replacement. Now, the freezer is at 20 degrees F and fridge is ranging from ~32-45 degrees F. I called a service place who sent a repairman who showed up today and kind of told me the condenser fan needed to be replaced, but I was not impressed with his thoroughness. Anyone have any ideas on what I need to do?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

The condenser fan motor is in the back of the refrigerator next to the compressor, did the tech pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the lower back access panel to see if your condenser fan was running?

If you meant the evaporator fan motor, that's located inside the freezer. When you open the freezer door do you hear that fan running?

Also look at the back panel inside the freezer and see if you notice frost build up on it.

Here's the defrost thermostat and evaporator(freezer) fan motor for your model:
W11032800 Motor-Evap

Jake

cg_in_NC

Premium Member
He did not pull out the fridge to see if the condenser fan was running so I think I misspoke about which fan. I think he meant evaporator fan motor, or he showed me a picture of a fan on his phone and nothing else to "protect his work."

Again, I was not impressed with his service. I put a thermocouple in the ice bin and it was reading 35 degrees and the freezer was reading 15 degrees this morning. If I need to order the evaporator motor to replace it, I will. Would replacing the evaporator motor have any impact on the fridge's ability to make ice and the E5 error code?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes--->E5 = Timed ice making. This code indicates the ice maker thermistor is warmer than 16° and the ice bin thermistor has been below 45° for 3 hours. An E5 can be the result of a defective IM thermistor, bin
thermistor, loose thermistor connection, ice box fan not running or a cooling issue.

Do you hear the ice box fan running?

Jake

cg_in_NC

Premium Member
I listened while the compressor was running this morning and do not think it was running, or if it was, it was very quiet. I will order the assembly and install it this weekend and report back. Thank you for the help thus far!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The compressor? Or freezer evaporator fan motor? or Ice box fan?

Service Test - 36: Ice Box Fan
--->Check for fan operation. Control ice box fan by selecting SW3. Display the status on Temp Display. (01 = on, 02 = off). Verify airflow from the ice box fan.

I'm attaching the tech data sheet for your model below. If you don't hear it coming on, you will need a multimeter to do voltage checks. Then get access to the Ice Box Fan and check for 14 Volts DC across any of the 3 wires while in Service Test 36 with the fan ON . If the voltage is correct then your Ice Box Fan is bad and you will need to order it.

Here's the ice box fan for your model(Video to get access/replace it is in the part link):
Fan Motor W10846539

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

• tech-sheet-W10844086-RevA.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 143

cg_in_NC

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thank you for the tech sheet! I did test 36 and could feel the fan kick on and blow air out of the door to the ice maker and then off again. Is there anything else I can check?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's about all you can check.

What's the temperature in the ice maker compartment now? Have you been noticing the freezer warming up at all lately? If in your first post you said your freezer was 20 degrees, which is way too warm and will never make ice at 20 degrees.

Jake

cg_in_NC

Premium Member
Jake,

Sorry it has taken me this long to reply. Long story short, I changed the evaporator fan yesterday and got ice sometime last night. The freezer temperature is back near 0 degrees, so I think that fixed my issues. Thank you for all of your patience and help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new evaporator(freezer) fan motor fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.