• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool WRX988SIBE00 Refrigerator Water Filter Stuck Again

Mbrannon

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX988SIBE00
Brand
Whirlpool
I am having an issue for the second time with my Whirlpool water filter/housing getting stuck. I had to replace the the housing in December of 2019 after damaging it during removal. I am not sure why this keeps happening. The filters install perfectly fine but get stuck when I try to remove them. It seems as though the housing will not move down through the groove/track in the actual filter as it should. It turns about 45 degrees or less and then wants to come out of the track or start damaging the housing rather then slide down and out. It is quite perplexing since these filters say they should fit this unit. I will buy OEM for sure in the future but just need to get this one out without damaging the housing again. I am attaching a picture from the issue on 12-28-2019 and one from today. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Mike

Attachments

• 20191228.jpg
    20191228.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 20210213.jpg
    20210213.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 228

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I can't tell much from the pictures but it's common for hard water deposits from the incoming water line to act like cement and keep the filter from turning all the way. Some aftermarket filters won't line up correctly. Try turning off the water supply then press the dispenser lever to relieve the pressure. Then work the filter back and forth to see if it will break free. You might need to remove the filter and housing together.
whirlpool-housing-w11194438-ap6286925_03_l.jpg

Mbrannon

Premium Member
Thanks. I just tried that. It seems to be getting stuck on the track on the filter itself and won't move along it correctly. I think I will have to remove the filter and the housing.

Mbrannon

Premium Member
I was able to remove the filter and the housing. I put the filter in a vice, (with the housing close to the edge on the side of the vice), and gently pried with a flat head screwdriver while turning and it came lose to allow removal without damaging the housing. Hope this helps someone else! :)

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Awesome! Thanks for the update. Was there hard water or was the filter the problem?

Mbrannon

Premium Member
Not hard water but I am guessing a defect in the filters that I purchased, which advertised they would work in this refrigerator, but I cannot say for sure. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its always best to get the OEM water filter. I own a Whirlpool refrigerator as well and I always buy the OEM water filter once a year for it.

Here's the OEM water filter for your model:
EDR2RXD1 Whirlpool Everydrop Ice and Water

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime Rick.(y)

Jake

LadyRap

Hello there. I've had this exact same problem since I bought my fridge 5 years ago (Whirlpool Model WRS325FDAM04). I've replaced the filter on my own once. I've had a repairman out twice - once to replace the entire housing because the door snapped off when trying to replace the filter. The repairman was the one that replaced the filter last time so I presume it's installed correctly. I'm overdue on replacing the filter again because I can't get the door to open anymore than 1/4 of the way (See video, but please don't judge but excuse the massive amount of dust - it got vacuumed after I took this video). There's no reason I should have to call a repairman every *%#$ time I need to replace the filter. I'm mechanically inclined and can generally figure these things out on my own, but I'm at my wits end. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Try what Rick mentioned in this thread first:

I own this same model and I've never had that problem before, when I pull the water filter door open on mine it pops right out.

If you still can't get it to come out, then you'd need to order and replace it again, unfortunately.

Here's the gray one for your model(Video Included):
Water Filter Housing W10862461

Jake

jdouglasb1

Depress tab on left side of housing facing you and the filter will release. Had same issue with filter not releasing when the cover was opened. Tech said pull on it using pliers. Incorrect. Pliers or any type will not grasp the housing. Spent an hour before discovering that by depressing the tab, the filter released. Others advise rotating the filter one quarter turn. This is incorrect on my side by side.

Mokuska

I am having an issue for the second time with my Whirlpool water filter/housing getting stuck. I had to replace the the housing in December of 2019 after damaging it during removal. I am not sure why this keeps happening. The filters install perfectly fine but get stuck when I try to remove them. It seems as though the housing will not move down through the groove/track in the actual filter as it should. It turns about 45 degrees or less and then wants to come out of the track or start damaging the housing rather then slide down and out. It is quite perplexing since these filters say they should fit this unit. I will buy OEM for sure in the future but just need to get this one out without damaging the housing again. I am attaching a picture from the issue on 12-28-2019 and one from today. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Mike
Hello Mike,
How did you remove the water housing cover? I mean the cover that shows the entire assembly in the first picture.
Thanks!