Whirlpool WTW4800XQ0 won't spin, lid won't unlock

hilltop

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW4800XQ0
Brand
Whirlpool
Greetings to all. This is my first post; thanks for taking the time to read it!

We are dealing with a Whirlpool WTW4800X which is exhibiting the following problems: 1) fails to spin/drain and 2) the Lid Locked light flashes after attempting to spin, requiring us to wait about 5 minutes before the lid unlocks, even after the basket stops spinning.

I ran all the diagnostics recommended in the Service Technician guide, and it recommends replacing the main control board.

Errors logged:
F0E5 - off-balance load
F7E7 - motor unable to reach target RPM
F7E1 - Basket Speed Sensor Fault
F5E1 - Lid Switch Fault

I followed the Test 3A directions for testing the basket speed sensor, and everything works. The tachometer test passes, the 120VAC control voltage is present while shifting, the 5VDC/0VDC signals are present when shifting from spin to agitate, etc.

The manual lid lock/unlock tests succeed. It locks and unlocks properly, and even detects when the basket is spinning, preventing an unlock.

The manual Spin and Agitate tests work fine.

After clearing the error codes and re-running the Drain & Spin cycle, I get only one error: F7E1 - Basket speed sensor fault.

Does this sound like a main control board to you? If so, where can I find a reasonably-priced replacement?

I'd also be curious: what type of failure is this, when the manual tests work fine, but the auto cycles fail? How has the control board failed in this instance? I can't see the firmware getting corrupted... would it be more likely a damaged component on the board? but if so, why do the manual tests, including tachometer, work fine?

Thank you for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We need the complete model number, read it from the tag on the machine, it should be on the panel once you open the lid.

Here's the results I get:

WTW4800XQ0
WTW4800XQ1
WTW4800XQ2
WTW4800XQ4

If you put it in drain/spin do you hear any sounds at all? Like a hum sound?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also first check for a cut wire, look at what this member found with his: MVWX500XW1 Maytag washer won't spin on spin cycle.

Read post #31 and you can download the attachment bigbuck posted, then look at post #35 where he shows the cut wire.

Jake

hilltop

Premium Member
Hi Jake, the full model number is WTW4800XQ0, Type 587

When placed into Drain and Spin cycle, the machine starts normally. The lid locks and the lid locked light illuminates solid. It goes through the Sensing process where it spins the basket a couple of times. Next, the pump starts running and you can hear the shifter engage the spin cycle. Next the basket begins to spin up. It will reach various speeds, usually doesn't make it to full spin speed, but sometimes it does, before the Lid Lock light begins flashing and the spin stops. The pump may keep running for a bit. Then the lid won't unlock, even after the basket stops turning. You have to wait about 5 minutes, then the lid automatically unlocks.

hilltop

Premium Member
I took a look at that post. That person wasn't getting 120VAC, but I tested for 120VAC per test 3A and it was present during shifting. I assume this is the shifter solenoid... Also the 5VDC signal was present when in the appropriate mode.
Tachometer test passes - you can spin the basket and the lights sequence. Fast/slow spin seems to be detected just fine.
Shifter works - can do agitate and spin cycles fine.

To me, it seems like the tachometer is the problem, since the washer seems unable to determine when the basket is spinning/stopped. But when the tach tests passes, how could that still be the problem? How could the control board be damaged in such a way that the tach test passes but it still can't see the tach?

*confused*.....

Thanks again. Any additional troubleshooting appreciated.

Also, if you think it is a control board, where's the best place to get them?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

Seems you've checked everything very well. Yes, I doubt its the tach, since it passed the test.

I'm learning towards the control board. Did you do TEST #1 in the tech data sheet? That will test the MAIN CONTROL BOARD.

Here's the main control board for your model you can order:
Whirlpool W10745340 Cntrl-Elec

When you order parts from AppliancePartsPros or RepairClinic, you have 365 days to return the part/parts for a full refund, less shipping, for any reason, even if you install the part/parts and it doesn't fix the problem.

Jake