Whirlpool WTW4950XW not working

dkaiser1

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW4950XW
Brand
Whirlpool
Whirlpool WTW4950XW 2 year old washer has been giving us issues. Heres a list of whats been happening:

- Stopped in the middle of the rinse cycle and unlocked
- did not drain
- restarted the waster and it drained partially and stopped. Then locked (flashed lid locked) for a few mins.
- Tried to stop and unlock lid by holding cancel, finally clicked and unlocked

I have tried to run again and the washer sensing light comes on and lid locks , unlocks, and then locks again and begins its sensing process and then stops and the lid locked light starts flashing. That's all I can get it to do .

Update - I left it flashing and it eventually filled up and drained. It now says washing and the motor is pulsating and making noise and the noise doesn't sound correct not a grinding but a struggling and the whole washer hub is not moving.

Any help would be great!
Thanks a lot
Dan

Last edited:

dkaiser1

Premium Member
Could it be the shift actuator? I checked the pully underneath and it was a touch loose, I retightened it. It still acts up when I start cycle, it senses and then the lid locked light starts flashing for several minutes and eventually goes off which seems longer then normal. Next its filling up with the sensing light still on, now the wash light is on and its doing nothing. It seems like the washer is sporadic and takes a long time to process anything. Hope this helps.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Dan,

I have tried to run again and the washer sensing light comes on and lid locks , unlocks, and then locks again and begins its sensing process and then stops and the lid locked light starts flashing. That's all I can get it to do .

Update - I left it flashing and it eventually filled up and drained. It now says washing and the motor is pulsating and making noise and the noise doesn't sound correct not a grinding but a struggling and the whole washer hub is not moving.
Yes Dan, that sounds like possibly your shift actuator may be the culprit. But lets verify that first.

There has been a few service bulletins posted for this model washer you have, This model is a Whirlpool - Vertical Modular Washer. I'm going to post what SENSING does first, then you will need to locate your tech. data sheet and check for error codes and post what the error codes say.

SENSING
When the START button is pressed, the washer will first perform a self-test on the lid lock mechanism. You will hear a click, the basket will make a slight turn, and the lid will unlock briefly before locking again. Once the lid has locked the second time, the washer
will slowly spin the dry load to estimate the load size, and begin adding water. The washer will then move the load briefly, pause to allow water to soak in to the load, and resume adding water. This process may repeat until the correct amount of water has been
added for the load. You may also hear water flowing through the dispenser, adding detergent to the load.

NOTE: The sensing light may also come on during the Soak and Wash portions of the cycle. This is normal.

Now I'm posting your Lid Lock Switch and the video of how to access and replace it, but I don't want you to replace the lid switch unless you get an error code saying to replace it. The main reason I'm posting your lid lock switch and video is just to show you how to access your tech. data sheet.

Here's the lid lock switch for your model:
Door Latch W10404050 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Watch this video below, Once you have the top up, there should be a tech. data sheet inside the front panel.

[video=youtube;KKxD0oFM85I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKxD0oFM85I[/video]

Go into diagnostics and retrieve the codes, and clear them. This is very important since most complaints start with the lid lock on and blinking, or the unit will not start and spin.

If, when in diagnostics the codes are F7E1, F7E5, or motor speed codes, then chances are it is a motor, capacitor, or shifter related issue. Once the codes are cleared, put the washer into a manual diagnostic test and run the HEAVY AGITATION; if
after 15‐20 Seconds the motor runs then you can rule out the motor, capacitor, control, and most likely the wiring harness connections (although still check the BK wire from the shifter to the control). Remember, the timing wheel only turns in the
transmission during the spin cycle.

Next, while in Manual diagnostics, try to get the unit to spin; if the motor hums for a split second and then shuts down with the lid lock blinking; go back into diagnostic codes and look for shifter or speed sensor errors.

This is proof that the shifter/sensor assembly is the issue because the optical sensor is not reading the motor speed.

Here's the shift actuator for your model you can order here:
Shift Actuator W10006355 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Watch this video:

[video=youtube;YVjTY-Hj4jw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVjTY-Hj4jw[/video]

Let us know what you find.

Jake

dkaiser1

Premium Member
Jake,

The washer seemed to work on the normal setting for a while and my wife used it until now. It leaves the clothes soaked in the washer and stops. I went into diagnostics and retrieved the codes F7E1 and F7E7. I followed your test and ran on heavy agitation and the motor made noise/ struggling sound and the basket would try to move but did not. Then I ran the manual test for the spin cycle and it hummed for a sec. and shut down with the lid lock blinking. I went back into diagnostics and couldnt come up with anything with the lid lock light blinking the whole time. I also ran the automatic test mode and after it was done the sensing light blinks on and off with a 2-3 sec. delay. Hope this helps you!

Thanks
Dan

dkaiser1

Premium Member
I was messing with it some more and ran the regular setting drain and spin and hit start. it went through the process for a while and then stopped with the lid locked light flashing on. I then unplugged it to get it off and plugged it back in and went back into fault settings and came up with another one, it was F7E1 which is basket speed sensor fault.

hope this helps

thanks

dkaiser1

Premium Member
I know its the holidays but any help would be greatly appreciated whenever possible! Thanks a lot !

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry for the delay, out of town for Thanksgiving.

Ok, then you found the issue, Look here from what I posted above:

Next, while in Manual diagnostics, try to get the unit to spin; if the motor hums for a split second and then shuts down with the lid lock blinking; go back into diagnostic codes and look for shifter or speed sensor errors.

This is proof that the shifter/sensor assembly is the issue because the optical sensor is not reading the motor speed.
The problem is the Shift Actuator. You can order it from the link I posted to it above.

Jake

dkaiser1

Premium Member
Hello again,

I have bad news, I installed the new Shift Actuator I ordered from you guys and am running into the same problem. Heres what happens : I click start while on the regular cycle and the lid lock light comes on, clicks to lock, sensing light comes on. The lid lock light starts flashing, it will sense/ turn a touch then nothing happens and the lid lock light continues to flash.

I then went into diagnostics and cleared the faults and tried to run it again with the same failed results. I read the codes and came up with a F7E1 (basket speed senor fault). Also the next code was the sensing light flashing on and then off for a few seconds repetitively.

Since all that I switched it over to heavy and tried again. The lid locked light did the same things and finally a few minutes later it is now filling up. But the lid is NOT locked, I can lift the lid while its filling up. Once it was done filling which seems like more water then normal, it now has the Wash light lit and it is doing nothing with the lid still unlocked.

Any help would be great!
Thanks
Dan

Last edited:

dkaiser1

Premium Member
Should I have a tech. Come fix it or buy a new one? Or can I fix it? Its only 2 years old , but I need it fixed bad! My wife is not happy! Any help...would love to have a reply asap thanks a lot!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you'll likely need to have a tech. come out and see whats going on if the shift actuator didn't fix it.

You can return the part for a full refund, less shipping.

Jake

dkaiser1

Premium Member
Jake,
I had a tech come out and have a look. He said we replaced the correct part and messed with it some and had it going while he was there. Well of course it didnt wash as soon as he left. Came out the next day and said we need to replace the computer board (220 plus dollars). I figured instead of doing this I might as well buy a new washer. My wife wants a top load and I kinda was leaning towards a front load. We were not satisfied with the washers performance that we have now..it didnt clean the clothes well. Are there any recommendations that you could give us on washers in the whirlpool, maytag, amana categories?
Thanks
Dan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I'd go with a Whirlpool Duet front-loader, I own one myself and it cleans extremely well and no problems whatsoever with it. Mine is about 4 years old.

Maytag front loader would be the next choice.

Jake