Whirlpool WTW5000DW0 washer strange noises and unbalanced during recalibration

Rachel1786

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW5000DW0
Brand
Whirlpool
Yesterday I noticed the washer was making a sort of rubbing noise when it was agitating and it didn't spin out but said done. I did a "drain spin" cycle which worked but it didn't sound normal. Today I tried the "clean washer" setting and it would not run, wouldn't even fill. I tried to take the agitator plate off thinking maybe a coin or something had worked its way underneath it as I'm constantly finding them in the gap between the plate and tub but I couldn't get it to budge(thought maybe it wasn't supposed to come off because hubby couldn't budge it either). Upon more searching tonight I came across a video of how to recalibrate it. It started off fine however after a minute it started thrashing so badly I thought it was going to break and wake everyone in the house up! It wouldn't stop when I held down the button and I had to unplug it to make it stop!
Anyone have any suggestions? I can get videos tomorrow if necessary I'm just not about to start that racket up again at almost midnight lol

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Rachel,

Sounds like multiple problems,

Possibly the transmission, suspension rods, and control board.

How often do you use your washer? Daily?

Jake

Rachel1786

Premium Member
Typically we use it on the weekends but tend to do about 3-4 loads between the 2 days.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, 3-4 loads between the 2 days is basically daily spread out.:)

Can you please upload the videos you have?

Here's the parts diagram for your model:

Jake

Rachel1786

Premium Member
I just took a video of it running through the recalibration cycle, at first I thought it was going to run ok but after about 1:30/2 it started getting really off balance. Thanks for your input!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, good video!

Its possibly the hub underneath the washplate, that's starting to strip out.

Here's the hub for your model, its located underneath the washplate:
W10528947 Hub

To remove your washplate, Watch this video below, wiggle the washplate while pulling it up.

I'd first check your hub to see if the teeth are starting to grind down.

The hub has screws that hold it in place, you will see them once you remove the washplate.

Look at these photos below of the teeth grinded down to smooth.

Jake

Attachments

Rachel1786

Premium Member
Thanks, I'll try to get that off again in the morning. I had tried to take it off the other day thinking a coin or something had worked it's way underneath it(I often find them in the gap between the plate and tub) however I couldn't get it off, hubby tried as well and was scared he was going to break it. I started questioning whether or not it was supposed to come up because it was so stuck. Hopefully I'll have better luck when I try again lol

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its suppose to come off, some can get stuck on per water hardness and corrosion. Use a lot of force to pull it up and off, wiggling it back and forth, side to side while pulling it up.

Jake

Rachel1786

Premium Member
Got it off with the help of some channel locks lol, there are a whole bunch of coins in the slots underneath it that I'll have to use tweezers or needle nose pliers to get out lol, here are pics of what the underside of the plate and the thing it sits on. Not sure if I need to take that off as well to get pics. Thanks for all your advice so far!
20190919_142242.jpg
20190919_142244.jpg
20190919_142249.jpg
20190919_142443.jpg
20190919_142457.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent.:)

Yes, I see the problem, your transmission shaft has rusted out and broken. You will need a new transmission and new hub too.

Here's the transmission(gearcase) for your model:
W11035751 Gearcase

Jake

Rachel1786

Premium Member
Thank you very much for all your help! Is this a fairly easy part to replace?
Honestly, I hate this washer and always have and would be just as happy to trash it and get a new one, however I just had to get a new car (ironically it was also transmission that broke on my old car 🤦‍♀️😂) so I'm sure hubby would rather we fix it to save money.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Rachel,

Here's the video that shows how to replace it here: Transmission Replacement Video

The only difference in that video is your model has the washplate and the plastic tub hub, the rest should be about the same.

Let us know how it goes.:)

Jake