• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool WTW5000DW1 won't start spin cycle

Darkside

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW5000DW1
Brand
Whirlpool
Greeting everyone. First allow me to say thank you for such a wonderful website; though this is my first post, I've found much valuable information here in the past.

So on to my issue. I have a 5.5yr old Whirlpool Cabrio WTW5000DW1 that I think is in need of a new drain pump. I've spend most of the past weekend researching this issue and can't seem to find others experiencing the same thing.

The washer is located in the corner of my basement, so I don't usually have a good idea of what it's doing/not doing, sounds its making, etc...; I just go down when the dryer buzzes. About a month ago I discovered it with the SPIN light lit but nothing else happening. This was happening once in every 10 loads or so, and I didn't give it much thought, just cancelling the cycle and running a Rinse & Spin cycle. Fast-forward to this weekend, and it's now doing it almost every cycle, and needless to say I've spent a lot of time babysitting it. Here's what I've discovered thus far:

• It's presenting 2 error codes:
    • F0E2 Oversuds - nothing has ever been used in the washer but Gain powder, which is HE, and never more than the 2 line on the scoop
    • F9E1 - Long Drain Time
  • Since most of the research I found on SPIN problems mentioned the splutch assembly or hub gear:
    • Disassembled the splutch assembly, and other than a minute amount of plastic dust all the teeth looked perfect and the belt was nice and tight
    • Tried to inspect the hub, but I couldn't even get the washplate out due to it being so tight combined with my lack of leverage. Unless I'm missing something in it's removal process, I took this as the hub being ok.
  • WASH and RINSE cycles seem to complete just fine.
  • Here's the important part: when the washer attempts to drain at the start of the SPIN cycle, it's making a loud noise that sounds to me like grinding plastic coming from the area of the pump. Every time time I've gotten this noise to stop (multiple restarts/resets, etc...), or it just didn't do it in the first place, the washer always proceeds and finishes normally.
  • When the SPIN cycle does fail, the amount of water in the tub varies; sometime it's empty and other times not, sometimes it's clean water and sometimes it's soapy
So my thought process at this point is the pump has failed in some fashion (plastic gears on the impeller?), which is not allowing the washer to drain fast enough to start the spin cycle, which is in turn throwing the F9E1 code. I'm going to tear the pump out tonight to inspect for any visible signs of damage. I was hoping for some professional advise that I'm on the right track or completely off base before I spend nearly 1/4 of the price of a new washer on just this one part. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I located another thread similar to yours here:
Its actually the same model number as yours do, do like I mentioned to him below. For his problem, he did find plastic in the drain pump AND his hub was bad.:)

Yes, remove the drain pump and check to see if something is stuck/jammed inside it causing it to NOT drain properly. Its located underneath the washer.

Watch this video to remove it:

Get a bunch of old towels to soak up water that will come out. Or you can use hose pinch-off pliers to keep the water from flooding out.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
W10876600 Pump-Water

You can tilt the machine back and support it rather than laying it completely down to get access to the drain pump.
tilt.JPG

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also, I'd check your hub too.

Here's the hub for your model:
W10528947 Hub

Here's a video to access/replace it:

Darkside

Premium Member
Thank you very much for the advice Jake, I'm not sure how I missed that thread completely. Unfortunately at this point I'm a bit stumped.

I pulled both the pump and the motor (why not) and both seem fine visually. There was also no debris in the pump or it's hoses that I could see.

I'm still struggling with the hub though. I'm now on my third (and fourth) attempt to remove the washplate, but it will not come out. All of the videos I've watched, including yours, show it coming out with relative ease. With the center bolt remove, mine will come up maybe a millimeter than abruptly stop as if something else is holding it in place. I even tried a prybar as delicately as possible between the washplate and basket, and all I got was a couple bloody knuckles when it slipped.

Since I've already got it this torn apart and it's not working, I said "screw it" and tried to pull the gearcase in the hopes it would release the hub/washplate. However that is also not coming out.

Is there anything else I could be missing?

Darkside

Premium Member
Quick video of me trying to get the washplate out with channelocks. The clicking/thumping noise is where the little bit of vertical movement abruptly stops.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Watch this video below, he uses 2 pull hook tools to get it off:

Jake

Darkside

Premium Member
Unfortunately, I ended up having to raise the white flag.

After letting it soak in PB B'laster for ~4 days, I tried a modified version of the hooks. Specifically, I used allen wrenches and vice grips fed through the holes in the wash plate. I also fed a couple CAT5 patch cables beneath the wash plate to try to pull it out. At one point I even had the washer on it's side while I braced my legs against the housing for leverage, but I could not get the wash plate to budge.

New washer will be delivered on Friday. But again, thank you for all the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
WOW, that's probably the tightest I've ever heard of, or seen of it being stuck in place.

I don't blame ya for getting a new washer, you gave it your best try!

Thanks for the update!

Jake