FIXED Whirlpool WTW57ESVW1 Lower Agitator Moves Slowly

lawndeeds

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW57ESVW1
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello, I have a Whirlpool Topload Washer (WTW57ESVW1) where the lower agitator is moving rather slowly. Here are the things I have fixed and/or replaced and the problem still exists.

1) Replaced the top agitator dogs
2) Inspected the motor coupling and nothing is damaged looks in very good shape.
3) Replaced the drive block
4) Replaced the clutch
5) Checked the lower agitator for striping where it connects to the drive shaft.

Other observations that might help.

1) During spin and drain cycle the washer spins and drains fine
2) During the agitation cycle, when I open the lid, I am able to move the lower agitator with my hand back and forward.
3) During the spin cycle, when I open the lid, I am able to move the lower agitator in the spin direction.

I am thinking at this point it might be the transmission that is bad but not sure how to confirm it before buying it or just replacing the machine. Thanks in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

If the motor coupler is fine, then it sounds like the transmission is the problem. Take the agitator off so you can see the splines on the shaft and start the washer. See if you can hold the transmission shaft with your hand around the splines.

The agitator shaft should be moving fast back and forth unless you have it in slow agitate. The reason to hold your hand on it is to make sure it doesn't stop agitating with your hand holding onto it.:)

Here's the transmission for your model:
Transmission 3360629

Video Included in part link.

Jake

lawndeeds

Premium Member
Hello Jake,

So, I did as your suggested.

1) Removed the upper and lower agitators to expose the agitator shaft.
2) I could see the shaft making short but swift back and forth movements. Not sure what the range of motion should be for the agitator shaft but it felt like 1/2 turns.
3) I tried to hold the transmission shaft with my hand but no way I could stopping its movements.
4) I then placed the lower agitator over the the shaft and held the lower agitator. I could hold the lower agitator in place. In fact, when when the transmission was stopped I was able to rotate the lower agitator with minimal effort but removing the lower agitator I could see that the shaft does not move while stopped.

So, I have concluded that the issue is that the splines on the lower agitator are stripped just enough(they dont look very stripped) to have it slipping.

What are your thoughts? Thanks again in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, you nailed it! Its the lower agitator spline thats stripped!

Here's the lower agitator for your model you can order:
Lower Agitator WP3951632

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, let us know how it goes when you get the lower agitator replaced.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent lawndeeds, glad to hear the lower agitator fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake