• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool WTW7120HW0 washer stuck at drain cycle and has F9E1 errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDinOhio

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW7120HW0
Brand
Whirlpool
My whirlpool washer WTW7120HW0 is getting stuck and can't get past the first drain cycle in any wash mode. Started intermittently with any cycle except for delicate and quick which was working for a little bit. Now the washer won't even get through the delicate, quick cycle at all. Gets stuck first time it's supposed to drain at 18 minutes of a 29 minute delicate cycle and eventually errors F9E1. The crazy thing is that if I lift the front of the machine off the ground and rock it back and forth a few times, the machine will drain and then continue the rest of the cycle with draining like nothing is wrong.

The hair-pulling, scream out loud part is that I have done every troubleshooting and replacement possible except for replacing wire harnesses. I have changed the main controller unit and pump, thinking both were failing. First the MCU, then the pump. I tore apart the tub and cleaned to make sure there were no blockages before the pump. When replacing the pump, I check for blockages before and after in the hoses. I check the hose length into the house drain and even adjusted it shorter to the length specified in the manual with no luck. I even tried changing the level of the machine to see if that would make a difference. I'm probably forgetting something, but I went through the F9E1 troubleshooting steps in the manual.

I don't know what else to do. This is an expensive, only two year old machine to be throwing out and replacing already. Any suggestions on what I can do, other than destroy it with fire, would be appreciated. Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Try this below:

Update unit to latest software.
The machine will need to be connected to WiFi and the correct brand app, Whirlpool or Maytag, to accept the Over the Air software update.
To download the app, please click the following link(https://www.whirlpool.com/home-innovations/connected-appliances/connect.html)instructions on how to download the app and properly connect the machine to WiFi and the app.

Once the machine is paired to the app and connected to local WiFi, the owner of the product will receive a notification on their phone that a software update is available. Accept the software update.
After the update has completed, the machine will say “Success! Your product’s software is up to date” on the screen and the owner of the product will also be notified on their mobile device that the software update has been successfully
completed.
Any potential subsequent Over the Air Software updates will happen automatically when the machine is in standby mode.

CDinOhio

Premium Member
Jake, you saved the washer's life for now. The unit did have a software update, and it was successful. I have ran a delicate cycle load, and it didn't get stuck at 18 minutes. Pump turned on and drained as it should. I'm not going to be able to test further for a few days, so a test with a regular cycle with have to wait as I don't want to get stuck with standing water. I will come back and update if it won't drain on a regular cycle.

A little frustrating to say the least that while I was running down mechanical failure that I also now have to consider software issues as well. These machines are getting too complex. Greatly appreciate the instructions and help! Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that.(y)

A little frustrating to say the least that while I was running down mechanical failure that I also now have to consider software issues as well. These machines are getting too complex.
I agree 100%

Jake

Mlw35405

Premium Member
Thank you! I happened to pick up the exact same washer last week that someone was throwing away with the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I replaced the triac (relay) for the pump on the control board (not an easy task getting all that glue crap removed from theboard) and also the pump itself and it still wouldnt drain on any cycle. But the pump would work when the machine was empty. I was about to give up and fork over $250 for a new control board when I happened to see this post. I did the update and whoop whoop it worked!!! I now have a new $1099 washer that i got for free! Thanks again!!!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that too,(y)

Jake

Mlw35405

Premium Member
Just an update on my washer - after updating the software it worked for a couple of cycles and then stopped draining again. Finally realized that it would drain every time if the basket was empty but not when it had water in it - and when full the tub sits lower on the suspension by around 5 inches due to the weight of the water in the basket. Soooo i took the back off the machine and unwrapped the wiring harness and right where the harness flexes at the top of the tub the wire to the pump was broken. Spliced in a couple extra inches of wire and she's good as new.

Attachments

• PXL_20220718_023729941.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220718_023729941.PORTRAIT.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 75

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Interesting, that's for posting that too, its very very rare to ever see a wire there break like that.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.