FIXED WM2801HLA LG Washer - drum light on - does nothing

johnsweaver

Premium Member
The additional problem of the tub light and sound not working is resolved. I had reversed their connections.

And still the main electrical problem seems to be intermittent. I pushed the power button after not touching it for several hours and it fired right up normally.

johnsweaver

Premium Member
Here's an update for anyone interested.

The bearing job still appears a success. I did pop the seals off of the old inner bearing and it was a mess. The outer bearing was probably still good but no reason to try to save it.

The electrical issue seems to have gone away...well at least it hasn't returned since I last spoke of it. I did put both the machines back in place with a switched power strip on the washing machine cord as the plug is unreachable otherwise. We haven't needed to touch the switch. Is there any way that the bad bearing could have caused some sort of motor or hall sensor overheating that would require the unplugging without throwing an error code?

Thanks to everyone for the help. While it wasn't exactly easy, I somewhat enjoy fixing these types of things.

JamiJoJo

Any more electrical issues?

The electrical issue seems to have gone away...well at least it hasn't returned since I last spoke of it.

Did you have any more problems with the electrical issue? Our machine just started doing the same thing today. We had joked about plugging it into a power strip that could easily be turned off to reset the machine since the plug is behind the machine & it isn't very practical to slide the washer out for every load. I'm glad to know our "silly" idea wasn't so silly after all.

Thanks for your posts!

Jami

johnsweaver

Premium Member
The electrical issue seems to have gone away...well at least it hasn't returned since I last spoke of it.

Did you have any more problems with the electrical issue? Our machine just started doing the same thing today. We had joked about plugging it into a power strip that could easily be turned off to reset the machine since the plug is behind the machine & it isn't very practical to slide the washer out for every load. I'm glad to know our "silly" idea wasn't so silly after all.

Thanks for your posts!

Jami
The electrical issue has returned just once. So I was glad the power strip was still there.

IIRC, I can induce the electrical problem by manually spinning the drum with the door open. It's as though spinning the drum induces enough energy in the coils and hall effect sensor to confuse the unit. I've somewhat concluded in my head that the issue somewhat was caused by the bad bearing causing more rolling resistance to the drum than it expected and that also confused the unit. That being said, the unit could have been manually spun the one time mentioned above, but I'm not sure as I wasn't there.

How does your unit spin? Any excessive noise or play in the bearings? Might be worth pulling the back cover to see if the seal is perhaps leaking.

Wish I had better answers. Good luck.

John

Vrocket

Premium Member
drum light

The electrical issue has returned just once. So I was glad the power strip was still there.

IIRC, I can induce the electrical problem by manually spinning the drum with the door open. It's as though spinning the drum induces enough energy in the coils and hall effect sensor to confuse the unit. I've somewhat concluded in my head that the issue somewhat was caused by the bad bearing causing more rolling resistance to the drum than it expected and that also confused the unit. That being said, the unit could have been manually spun the one time mentioned above, but I'm not sure as I wasn't there.

How does your unit spin? Any excessive noise or play in the bearings? Might be worth pulling the back cover to see if the seal is perhaps leaking.

Wish I had better answers. Good luck.

John
I did a lot of reading on the computer and could not really find a answer to my fix. I was leading toward the main control box in the left rear corner of the washer. (Part is not cheap). I decide to try to open box up and tap relays and see if would reset. I had to undo several screws and tie wires to get room to pull the cover off of control box. Once inside I tapped the relays and plugged back in, didn't change. I unplugged the power cord again and pulled the yellow top plug off which has two wires red and yellow. I then plugged washer in and front control board lit up but no drum light. I then unplugged power cord and attacked the yellow plug again. When I plugged power in again drum light was on I then shut machine off and in 4 minutes the drum light went out. Tied several times before reassembling. Hope this helps someone because LG support was worthless call for service call

veshman

I found this solution, and it totally worked. In fact, it's worked twice now. Only requires a reset procedure, not a module replacement.

Here's a tip: My LG Washer stopped working today and I tried everything I knew to find out what the problem was but nothing worked. None of the digital display was on, just the light inside the washer that would not turn off. This was very strange, if it was the circuit breaker the light certainly would not be on. I could not find any information on this on the internet so I am going to share this tip with you.

My son works at a big home improvement store and I asked him if he knew what the problem was and he found out that if you unplug your washer and push down the power button for 5 seconds and let go, then push down the start button for 5 seconds and let go, then plug the washer back in, you should be able to push the power button as you would to run a load and the washer should work again. It's like a reboot for the washer. I hope this helps anyone with the same problem out there, it saved me an expensive visit from an appliance repair person.

Dwilkeson

I found this solution, and it totally worked. In fact, it's worked twice now. Only requires a reset procedure, not a module replacement.
My washer just started doing this same thing. I will try this procedure but it seems unlikely to me that this is doing anything more than discharging the control since it is powered off. Same thing would happen if you left it unplugged for awhile.

GirlFriday

I found this solution on another website, and it totally worked. In fact, it's worked twice now. Only requires a reset procedure, not a module replacement.
This worked on my WM2487HRMA also! Thanks for sharing veshman!

nbkjkm3

I had the exact same situation for another customer and with some help from LG, we replaced the PCB, display board and the power filter to try and resolve the problem. Nothing worked. That was over a year ago. LG tech support wanted to have the machine at their repair facility to see what's going on but the higher ups in LG customer service didn't want to buy the customer a new machine since it was way out of warranty. So the customer has to keep unplugging the unit to reset the controls so she can use the washer. Strange but once the machine finishes it's cycle, the controls will still work for at least 10 minutes before the display board freezes up.

Now that the same situation has come up on your machine, I'm suggesting this. Replace the wire harness that connects the display board to the PCB. That part number is 6850ER2002N. I suspect that there is a short in the wire harness since it uses tiny wires. Let me know if that resolves the issue. I'm really curious!!!
i know this is an old post, but i am having the exact same issue, did replacing this harness work?

Moltroub

Thank you veshman! This worked on our LG WM3001HWA. Just turning the power off didn't work. And I had left it off for about an hour or so while I did some yard work. It's easier for us to reach the breaker than it is to move the washer and unplug it. So we turned off the breaker. It did take a few seconds for the drum light to go out without the power on. We did the five second hold on both buttons. After turning the breaker back on, everything is back to working. Thanks again!

PowerProducer

We had this problem of drum light staying on our Sears Kenmore Elite manufactured by LG. We had the machine about 3 years the first event and I unhooked the power cord and it reset. This happened once in a great while but last week turning power off gave no result. After finding this blog site we did the disconnect power, hold power button for 5 seconds and then held start button for 5 seconds and restored power and running perfectly now. Surely to shout LG knows this? This machine is close to ten years old and otherwise running perfectly. I replaced the drain pump last year. Also learned to clean the tub use 1 full cup powdered dishwasher soap and run a clean cycle and does a super job of cleaning.

ahalfhill

Yeah, this is an old thread, but these are still out there, I have the WM3001HRA model. Knowing what I do from LG training years ago: Korean head hunts forced companies there to manufacture assemblies without disclosure. Meaning, the manufacturer of the part had no idea what the part they were making was for. They just had some specs. It kept head hunters from luring employees with specific technological secrets away, to "use" these secrets. Sounds like a random addition to this thread, but its not. LG and Samsung both experienced side effects of this practice in there PCB manufacturing. All the specifics, I don't have. I do know capacitor selection was poor, lacking sufficient information about what they were building for, factors such as "duty, usage time, and life" were overlooked, causing premature product malfunctions. This was brought to light with emphasis in the 2007-2010 era, as these manufactures TVs were being pulled off walls to have $3 worth of capacitors changed, because: (drum roll) the TVs progressively took longer to turn on, eventually they would just lock up.

So my main point here: every quick fix in this thread points to a power condition. Someone even changed a "main board", to no avial. I'm betting ALL of the products effected here have one thing in common... Power supply.
So, this fine Saturday morning, I begin. I will scope the secondary supply voltages to the control system to determine if there are high levels of ripple. As this power supply is conformal coated, it can not be serviced. However, if I find some noisy voltages, I will surely hack the harness and add my own filter capacitors to correct the problem. Micros do not like noisy power, it makes them unstable and unreliable. I for sure am not spending even $10 on this repair. Its about 11 years old and I would rather buy a new one.
I will post again when I put my finger on the problem or if my rant was all for not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is THE solution I tried that WORKED with my LG washer (a WM2501HVA) - to finally cut the drum light off: A) Completely cut the power to the unit - either by unplugging it or by switching it off the breaker box; B) Wait just 20 seconds or so and while the power to the unit is still cut, press and hold down the power switch for 10 seconds and then let your finger back off; C) Cut the breaker box on / or plug the unit back in (whichever you did to cut power). D) Turn the unit back on by normally pressing the power switch (but this time don't keep it held down) - and the unit should turn back on - and don't panic - as the drum light will come back on; E) Leave the unit on and just wait until the timer censor automatically cuts the unit off, and the drum light should also cut off, and STAY off. Important: You may have to try the same sequence above (A-E) a second time - as it did not work for me the first time, but the second time it was successful (which means you might need to try this even a 3rd or 4th time). Also, the first time I powered turned the power to the unit back on (I cut the power and then turned it back on at the breaker box), the unit automatically powered on without me turning on the power button. If this happens, just do step E above. Hope this helps someone!

Last edited by a moderator: