WM3670HWA LG Washing Machine Hot Water Hose Noisy and Vibrating

Mike1995

Premium Member
Model
WM3670HWA
Brand
LG
Hi,

I purchased a new LG washing machine and had it installed. When installed the hot water hose was making a loud vibrating noise (like a machine gun) while the tub was filling. The installer said it was air in the line and would go away. Well I've done many loads and it's the same. Someone suggested it was water hammer, but my understanding is that water hammer is when the valve turns off, not when water is filling the tub. I'll be calling the company to send someone out, but wanted to run it by here for any ideas as to what it may be. I tried moving the hose while it was doing it, but this has no affect. I did find a youtube video online that displays the same issue I am having, but there were no responses as to what it is. Thanks for your help.

Video:

[video=youtube_share;tJAQ8VY2Rsg]https://youtu.be/tJAQ8VY2Rsg[/video]

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It's water hammer. Try shutting the water off at the main valve. Then open all the faucets in the house. Let any water still in the lines, drain. Shut off all your faucets but one and turn the water back on. Once water comes out you can turn it off.

Mike1995

Premium Member
I closed the water line to the house and opened all the faucets (aside from the lines to the washing machine) and drained it all. Turn water back on leaving only one faucet open, then shut it off when water was flowing. Tried the washer and still having the issue. What I am confused about, is if this is water hammer, do you know why I wouldn't have had this issue with the old washing machine?

Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
(aside from the lines to the washing machine) ..... why I wouldn't have had this issue with the old washing machine?
Actually that's probably the one that needs to be opened and drained. I always say open all the faucets but the one that needs to be opened is the one that's at the lowest level, usually on the first floor or basement or outside. Water hammer is when a pressure surge in the water line suddenly stops and changes direction. When the water is drained, air takes it's place. When the hoses were disconnected from the old machine water filled the air space. Shut the water main off again and open the faucet that is at the lowest elevation and let all the water drain out.

Mike1995

Premium Member
Thanks for the response. I tried it again, this time leaving a downstairs bathroom faucet opened, and drained all the water. The washer is upstairs. Unfortunately, it still seems to have the issue. I am going to try again and see what happens. Not sure if disconnecting the washer after the pipes have drained might help as well (might try that as a last resort, although it's hard to get to the lines). The bathroom is the lowest, aside from the toilet (which I guess I can flush to make sure the water is drained). Fingers crossed!

RegisB

Hi,

I purchased a new LG washing machine and had it installed. When installed the hot water hose was making a loud vibrating noise (like a machine gun) while the tub was filling. The installer said it was air in the line and would go away. Well I've done many loads and it's the same. Someone suggested it was water hammer, but my understanding is that water hammer is when the valve turns off, not when water is filling the tub. I'll be calling the company to send someone out, but wanted to run it by here for any ideas as to what it may be. I tried moving the hose while it was doing it, but this has no affect. I did find a youtube video online that displays the same issue I am having, but there were no responses as to what it is. Thanks for your help.

Video:

[video=youtube_share;tJAQ8VY2Rsg]https://youtu.be/tJAQ8VY2Rsg[/video]
I have had the same problem. THIS IS NOT CLASSIC HAMMER NOR IS IT AIR IN THE LINES. A water hammer device will not cure this problem. I tried a water hammer device without any improvement.

It is due to the inrush of water to the washer causing the washer solenoid valve to slam shut, which then tries to reopen, and thus pulses. The specification for the washer is that the water pressure not be above 120 psi, but my pressure is just 80 psi.

The fix is simple. Partially close the water valve for the washer restricting the flow so it is less intense of a pulse when the washer solenoid opens. You can tune the amount of valve opening to get the maximum amount of flow before the chatter or machine gun noise reappears.