• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WM8000HWA LG Front-Load Washer - Rattling noise

leftypjb

Premium Member
Model Number
WM8000HWA
Brand
LG
Curious if anyone else has heard of this problem before. During the higher speeds in the spin cycle, there seems to be a rattling noise from the rear of the washer. I checked to make sure that nothing fell back there (like a hanger, etc.) that could be hitting the back of the washer. I called LG, and they sent a repair service out here. He looked over the machine and ran the diagnostic tests...and found nothing wrong with the machine. He said that he believes the sound is from some residual water in the tub while it's spinning and hitting the metal tub so fast that it's making the rattling/clanging noise? He said if it was something major, I would get an error code or really hear a louder noise. My gut is telling me that there's something bigger wrong with the machine. Anyone go through something similar? Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It would be good to make a video of what your hearing and upload the video to YouTube, then post the link here, so others could hear it and assist you.

Jake

leftypjb

Premium Member
Jake - Thank you for the recommendation. Here’s the link to the video:

IMG 4059 - YouTube

0:00 – started recording right after I entered the diagnosis menu
0:05 – pressed start button to begin slow speed spin (no noise is noticeable)
0:20 – pressed start button to begin higher speed spin
0:35 – noise begins to be noticed after washer has picked up speed
0:45 – pressed start button to begin highest speed spin (noise begins to become even more noticeable)
1:15 – pressed start button to stop spinning (as the tub slows down, you can hear the noise even more until drum comes to a complete stop and then it enters the filling stage of the diagnosis menu at which time I stopped recording)

NOTE: Washer was empty while doing this but it makes a similar sound when laundry is in there. I hear a metal-on-metal vibration noise or "clanging". Not sure if it's the back panel of the washer vibrating or what. Since the washer & dryer are not in a location where it is easy to pull out and exam further without first disconnecting the dryer (including the natural gas connection) and pulling that out first, I am at a loss of what to do next (and I am not too handy when it comes to that stuff). Washer/dryer is only about 9 months old and they said LG will only cover one service call for a problem if it's been deemed to be diagnosed as "normal operating noise". The service professional was very perplexed when he was trying to pinpoint the noise and finally took off a rubber hose at the top of the outer drum which he said is to vent and let out suds if the machine was to get too much soap and said when he lifted up a small plunger-like stopper in there, he could hear the noise better and it was "water hitting the metal drum during the spin cycle" and what's why I hear it only when it's on high speed and not while it's washing or on slower spin speeds??? I am not sure if I agree with his diagnosis of it being water versus it being something else (like metal-on-metal). Would appreciate if someone else could listen to it and give their opinion. If it is water, then I will be happy. If it's not, then I'm going to have a tough time getting LG to send out someone again for the issue. Thank you in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I heard it, and before I even read your post it sounded to me like water droplets hitting the tub inside.

Then I read your post and saw what the tech. said: "water hitting the metal drum during the spin cycle".

I really don't know if that's normal or not, has it done it from Day 1?

Jake

leftypjb

Premium Member
I honestly can't say if the noise has been there since day 1. I feel like the noise started only in the past few months. Regardless of how long the spinning lasts, the sound continues pretty consistently. My brother has the same machine, and his does not make the noise. If the water hitting the metal tub is a "normal" sound, then so be it. Do you know if that's a typical noise for front-loaders (this is my first front-load washer). I may need to do further research and may have my local appliance repair take a look at it to confirm the situation. Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Wild is our Samsung and LG expert, I will message him wildimaginations and see if he can assist us here on your thread.

Jake

wildimaginations

Appliance Tech
The noise sounds like a piece of thick thread stuck to the drum and is hitting the tub as it spins around. Look at all of the holes especially towards the rear and see if you can find anything that looks like a piece of material stuck in the drum. If you can't find it, I wouldn't worry about it as it will go away after awhile.