• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WMH1162XVS Whirlpool over stove microwave making loud buzzing noise

Theirons84

Premium Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2017
Messages
33
Location
AL
Model Number
WMH1162XVS
Brand
Whirlpool
Age
More than 10 years
Microwave was turned on yesterday to heat something. It ran for maybe two seconds and then got really loud (like a loud grinding / buzzing sound). The whole unit powered off.

Further investigation revealed a blown fuse. I replaced the fuse with a metal rod (no fuses on hand until I go to the store).

Screen returned and fan functions worked like they should. turned the microwave on and it made the same loud grinding / buzzing sound until it shut off again. Kicked the breaker this time.

from what I'm reading, it could be the magnetron. This unit was built in 2008. Is it worth fixing?
 

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
130,231
Location
Redmond, Oregon
Rick is very good with microwaves, but he's been out with a serious illness unfortunately and we don't know when he will return. Hopefully soon!

I know nothing about microwaves or I would help you.

Here's another help site that can assist you:

Jake
 
Top