• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WMH2175XVB Whirlpool Doesn't Start

facecard

Premium Member
Model Number
WMH2175XVB
Brand
Whirlpool
I have an over the range Whirlpool microwave and it doesn't start. The microwave is less than 5 years old. The microwave has power and all of the other functions work fine. The control panel works, the fan works, light works, everything appears to work. After you open and close the door, hit 8 seconds or 8 minutes or any number, hit start and you hear a clicking sound like it wants to start but immediately stops.

What is the problem and how do I fix it?

facecard

Premium Member
Does anyone have any suggestions or could offer any help? I don't want to pay for a service guy to fix this if I could save some money and fix it myself. If someone could help me narrow down the problem then I could buy the part that I need to get it working again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry, we must of missed your post.

Jeff and Rick is our Microwave experts, I will msg one of them to see if they can assist you.

Jake

facecard

Premium Member
The control board is behind the control panel, the panel with all of the buttons? If the control board is bad then why does fan work, light, timer, etc.. Why does all of the other functions work? How do i check to make sure the interlocking switch is closed? I am guessing the interlocking switch is part of the door that sits inside near the control panel? I know there is two metal flat pieces on the door, after you close the door, *normally* you enter the minutes and hit start. Next the microwave will start to heat the food.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
There's three door switches. Check them by opening and closing the door:
C-Microswitch.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

facecard

Premium Member
Just to be clear, there is 2 or 3 switches? I only see 2 switches unless 1 is hidden. I will remove one of those switches and play the matching game to see which switch I need to replace. I will post an update later.

rickgburton

Staff member
There should be three microswitches. The monitor switch is good. It's designed to keep the mag tube from working if the door is open by shorting L1 to Neutral and blows the fuse. To check them just remove the wires and check for continuity by opening and closing the door. The problem is most likely the control board and not a door switch.

facecard

Premium Member
I appreciate the help and comments. However, I am confused, Rick is talking about the control board and Jake is talking about the switches. If the control board is bad then why does the fan, light, etc... all work, assuming, we are talking about the same control board that is behind the control panel. The control panel has all of the buttons. Again, assuming the control board is bad then why does the other functions still work? Can we reach some agreement here.

rickgburton

Staff member
I already reached an agreement but I don't mind going over it again for you. If you read my first post I explained the problem is most likely the control board but you should check the door switches first. I gave you a link for the control board. Jake didn't say it was the control board or the door switches. He just gave you a link to the door switches. The control board can multi-task. It's probably just a circuit or part of the board that is not working. Unfortunately you can't buy just a part of the board.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Jake is talking about the switches
No, I was just mentioning if any of your switches tested bad where to order them.

Like I said I know nothing about Microwaves, so if Rick says Control Board, I would order it.

Jake

facecard

Premium Member
Just an update. As it turns out, it wasn't the control board OR the switches that went bad. The bottom switch has a latch actuator, I think it is called that, that was stuck which prevented the heating element from working. It might be the latch actuator that was stuck maybe in the open position. I played with that latch actuator and sure enough that was the problem. I pushed it back into place and the microwave started to heat again.

rickgburton

Staff member
I'm glad you did what I said and checked the door switches first. Saved you the cost of a new board.