• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WMH31017AB Whirlpool over the range microwave stopped working

RjRaye82

Premium Member
Model Number
WMH31017AB
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello all! My microwave started acting really weird recently and then it just stopped working all together. When we tried using it the unit would simply click then stop and turn off. I figured out it was the door switch and replaced that. Now it will heat but will not illuminate the light and the turntable will not work. If I hit the side of the microwave it will come on and work for a random amount of time then go right back off. I can hear a relay clicking inside but can’t determine which one it is. Please point me in the right direction.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a bad connection on the board. Here's the part you need:
whirlpool-cntrl-elec-wpw10666267-ap6023688_01_l.jpg

RjRaye82

Premium Member
Holy crap, $311! I’ll just replace the microwave for that much. I was hoping it wouldn’t be the board. I think I’ll just deal with no light for now. Lol. Thanks for the reply.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You can look for something obvious on the board. Cold solder joints is common. Use the eraser side of a pencil to touch the board components. Maybe you'll find it.