• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WMH31017AW Probably the door switch sensor

applegate123

Premium Member
Model Number
WMH31017AW
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello,

I have seen a couple other similar posts - but wanted to confirm.

For the last several months, when I open the microwave - the light in the microwave would click on and off several times - on-off-on-off-on. 2, 3, sometimes 6 times. Sometimes when it gets done clicking - the night might be on or or it may be off. Today for the first time - I opened the microwave and the light did not come on, I set the timer, pressed start, then a "door" message was displayed [when the door was alreadt closed]. I opened and close the door a couple time hard - and then I was able to operate the microwave.

Could you provide a part number and general instructions for repair?

Thanks,
Mark

applegate123

Premium Member
Actually, Model Number is WMH31017AW3. Based on some other messages that I have seen - I am going to guess that the switch to replace is the one with 3 connectors - W10727360. I will try this and see what happens.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

applegate123

Premium Member
Microwave has been fixed! :)

On a related note: when I removed the control panel - there are 2 plastic (??) tabs on both sides of the control panel (4 in total). However,the panel is held in place via 4 metal tabs next to the plastic ones. 3 of the 4 tabs had previously broken off (laying inside microwave) and the remaining one was cracked and I took that one off. The panel has some wobble in it without these plastic tabs. Is this a common issue with the microwave? The microwave is only a little over 1.5 years old. Don't know if this is a design flaw or if somehow it might have been this way since it was installed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

applegate123

Premium Member
Yes, #2. there are plastic tabs - two on the right and two on the left - you can see them in the parts diagram on the right side (little bumps). I might just get a new panel.

Thanks as always!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I do see the little bumps now that you pointed that out to me.:)

Yes, a new control panel would fix it.:)

Jake