• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

WMH31017FS0 Whirlpool Microwave/Vent Combo E17 LED

NAndreotti

Premium Member
Model Number
WMH31017FS0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hey Guys, Im A tech for a national multifamily company. One of my buildings we have whirlpool microwave range hood combo units. Im getting sick of replacing the hood lights. Ive been looking into LED replacements but for some reason these vent hoods have a constant voltage to the lamp that is increased when you turn on the light. This causes any LED bulb i put in there to be always on. My question for you guys is do you know what type of LED spec i should look for so that the bulb wont always stay lit? I hope this makes sense. Thanks !

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
NAndreotti said:
these vent hoods have a constant voltage to the lamp that is increased when you turn on the light.
That doesn’t sound right. The hood light is 120 VAC. Line 1 is connected to one side. The Neutral side is controlled by two hood light relays on the board with a diode between them. It sounds like there’s a shorted relay on the board that’s causing a constant low feedback voltage at the light. That’s why you’re going through a lot of bulbs and why the LED stays on

NAndreotti

Premium Member
I didnt measure voltage i just tried two types of these led e17s in 5 different units here at my building and they all are always lit. They are very dimmly lit til you turn it to medium or high but its bright enough that with the lights off in the kitchen you can tell its on.

rickgburton

Staff member
I don’t know about the light bulbs because there’s another diode in line with one of the hood light relays on the board. Sound like you need a DMM. According to the wiring diagram there shouldn’t be any voltage at all at the hood light until the relays supply the neutral side of the circuit. If you put a regular bulb in is it also dimly lit?

NAndreotti

Premium Member
Nope the OEMs arent lit. I know ive been replacing alot of these boards because that diode that controls EP2 keeps burning up and splitting. Ill keep plugin away see what I can come up with. Thankyou for your help sir!

rickgburton

Staff member
The LED is a diode so if the other one on the board fails or one of the relays it will light.