• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

WMH31017HW0 Whirlpool Microwave - behaves like it's in demo mode even after enabling/disabling demo mode

gangofgarcias

Premium Member
Model Number
WMH31017HW0
Brand
Whirlpool
Bought a scratch and dent above range Whirlpool microwave last month (MFD Dec 2017) and after installation, it's behaving as though it's in demo mode - the interior light is always on and turntable begins rotating immediately when door is closed, but it won't cook anything.

Followed manuals instructions to enable/disable demo mode. When enabled, it indicates 'demo' on the LCD. When disabled, that indicator goes away. But the behavior is the same either way.

One thing I noticed is that the top latch hook on the door is broken (it's just a black plastic loop). Would this cause such behavior? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Toby

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
gangofgarcias said:
.....the top latch hook on the door is broken
That's the problem. It opens and closes the door switches. I can't find it on the parts site. I'll check another one.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Can't see anything in the picture it's way too close. Here's the door parts:
Snapshot_1.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick I noticed there is a part listed as Comp Door Assy Service WMH31017_32519HW

Its #1 here:

Its much less expensive than the complete door, but I can't see a photo of it anywhere.

Jake

gangofgarcias

Premium Member
Thank you both, Rick and Jake.
The diagram doesn't even show those clips. Looks like it's engineered to fail. Thanks a lot, Whirlpool!

Guess I'll try to cobble something together. Maybe get a friend to 3D print a replacement part.

Best,
Toby

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You still have a full warranty on it, it doesn't matter if its scratch or dent, just call Whirlpool at 1-866-698-2538 and they will send a tech. out and you will get the complete door assembly free of charge.

Jake

gangofgarcias

Premium Member
Well, that's a new concept for me, Jake. Guess I'm so used to trying to keep my old appliances going that it didn't even occur to me that warranty service might be available. Sometimes, it's the simplest solutions that we overlook. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the phone number; they're sending a local tech out in just a couple days. It's just sad that they'll have to replace the entire door assembly when one plastic door strike is all that's needed.

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
(y) Excellent, keep us posted.

Jake

gangofgarcias

Premium Member
Little update:
After three visits from a technician and replacement of the door, door latch switch, and ultimately the control panel, the microwave is still not functioning. Currently waiting on Whirlpool to contact us about a warranty replacement.