• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WMH53520CS Whirlpool Microwave Stops After 2 Seconds

wyblea

Premium Member
Model Number
WMH53520CS
Brand
Whirlpool
I would love to not have to buy a new microwave and hope you can help.
I was contacted to look at my rental homes Whirlpool WMH53520CS microwave because both door interlocks had "failed," though in reality, they both had been unscrewed so fell back into the guts of the microwave. I pulled the control panel off and reattached both interlocks. The mechanism, including the door switches looked totally fine and the microwave was reassembled.

NOW, when the microwave is started it runs for 2 seconds and then stops with 6 (3 groups of 2) rapid chimes. The display then returns to the baseline and allows you to restart before this is repeated.
I removed the panel again and made sure that everything looked fine. No burns on the control board, all switches and wiring appear normal.
As a side note, when I put the unit in DEMO mode, it "runs" normally for the set time...which makes me think something is up with the magnetron, but I am hoping for something easier.

Thank you so much for your help!!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Disconnect the two wires on the primary side of the high voltage transformer. Put your meter leads on the two wires and start the microwave. Does the machine run?

wyblea

Premium Member
Thank you Rick for providing your expertise! I will try that as soon as I get back to microwave and let you know.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If the machine runs OK, The problem will be one of the high side components.

Here's how to check them:
(click to enlarge)
C-HV Testing.jpg