• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WOC97ES0ES03: microwave F1E5 + no light when door is open

averajejoe

Premium Member
Model Number
WOC97ES0ES03
Brand
Whirlpool
Symptoms began a few months ago when during the heating cycle microwave would randomly go on/off on its own (and continue heating). A few days ago it would refuse to start and just sit there with F1E5 error. I read the service technician manual and it asks to first check if the door operates right, i.e. when it opens - light goes on. It doesn't. I checked all three switches - they operate correctly. I also checked the voltage on P1 and P354 - I see 120V there. So that eliminates any fuses/switches malfunction. Nothing looks burned or unusual. Magnetron also looks clean.

I know the error says to replace MW invertor, but from my understanding, it reports it because there is no power at all in the microwave for some reason.

Any tips to troubleshoot and find a failed component? I have an extended service plan which will kick in on August 14th, but the microwave is something we can't really live without and I hoped I can fix it myself sooner.

averajejoe

Premium Member
A bit more details: when I enter into service mode, both MW and cavity temperatures show a valid value, so I don't think it would be thermostats.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I asked Rick if he could help you, I'm attaching the tech. data sheet below for your model.

Jake

Attachments

• tech-sheet-W11041087-RevA.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 27

averajejoe

Premium Member
Check the interlock switches by opening and closing the door.

Yeah, made sure I actually check them with closing the door, not just triggering switches.

One more detail - the power comes to the relay 4903 (MW Relay, powering MW inverter), but the relay never switches on when pressing Start button. Also, power is present on Turntabe/Magnetron fan/Light transformer relay, but again, not switched on when I turn them on through Service Menu.

With the thermal camera, I can see the chip on the backside is heating up a bit, meaning it does seem to get the power. There are a couple of resistors in the middle of the board getting hot relatively to other components (but not hot to the touch), and also couple "transistors" (MOSFETs?) in the corner as well. Which makes me think perhaps there is a short somewhere on the board, but I am not really good at electronics. Nothing visually is burned out on the board on both sides.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like the problem is the board. Service techs don't repair boards so we can't help you there. There are no board schematics and for techs, it's not cost effective. Other members have repaired boards but they usually have a background in electronics.