• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Wolf CP36 G/S Gas Cooktop 1 igniter has failed.

Steevo1

Premium Member
Model Number
CP36 G/S
Brand
I have a Wolf gas range, CP36 G/S. No oven is attached.

One of the burners has had a problem for a while, I turn that burner on and the spark unit sparks, the gas starts and lights, but the spark lighter keeps clicking and sparking.

Yesterday, that one burner did not ignite, clicked once or twice, did not light the gas and the gas kept flowing but not lit.
Clearly a problem with that one burner.

There is an igniter module, and I presume a switch on the control that starts it. Before it did not stop clicking, and now has stopped completely. Failed by not stopping it's clicking. Now failed by no longer clicking.

There is a small device on the back of the burner, I presume that is what senses heat and turns off the clicker.

What would be wrong that would cause that problem?

It seems likely that the high voltage igniter has now failed, if that range has one for each of the five burners, that is.
That seems likely because the other burners work fine.

But the original problem was in whatever sensed that the burner was lit.
This might all be one module.

The constant clicking has now made that module fail, unless it's a wiring problem.
I have not tried to disassemble the unit to inspect further.

Does it just lift up to expose the wiring?
It's installed in the counter top.
I don't know if it's attached or just held there by it's own weight.

Steevo1

Premium Member
I notice that when I push the knob on the failed burner down or turn it, the light goes on, so I assume that means the switch works.
Does anyone know if there is a separate switch for the ignition, separate from the heat control?
I think there often is. But I haven't yet taken it apart to find out what's going on in there.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Sorry we couldn't reply to your thread, Jeff, Rick, and myself know very little about the high end appliance models like Dacor, Viking, Wolf.

Hopefully a tech that works on these brands can come to your thread here and assist you.

Jake