• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Wolf Range/oven suddenly has a 'flaky' oven... thermostat broke?

ajschmidt

Premium Member
Model Number
DF486G
Brand
In my 48" Wolf dual fuel range/oven (DF486G) I have two ovens; a smaller one on the left side and a larger one on the
right side. Both have performed nearly perfectly for 6 years. In the last week, the right side oven seems to have a
thermostat issue. It basically stops heating once it reaches ~350, no matter what temperature setting I have adjusted the
knob to. To diagnose the problem, I took some temperature readings using a standard oven thermometer (all metal) over a
40 min period for each oven separately. Over the 40 min period, I adjusted the temperature setting from 400 then 450 and
finally 500. I first tested the smaller left side oven which is and has always been working properly... these measurements
can be used to compare to the faulty oven's measurements.

The results are not displaying properly in the forum, so below is a link you can click that shows a snapshot of my screen
where I have collected the data:

To me, the issue is either A) a bad thermostat (seems more likely) or B) a faulty heating element that won't heat the oven up past 350 anymore (seems less likely).
Anyone have any comments on this? How can I better identify the problem? What part or parts do I need to replace to fix this? Is there just a simple way to recalibrate the oven? Thanks in advance for any help!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I know little about wolf...but are both elements working in the right side oven? Bake out and just the broil coming on might give those results....failing that, bad temp control/relay would be prime suspetcs.

jeff.

ajschmidt

Premium Member
jeff,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, both elements are working properly (both get hot). When you say "bad temp control", could that be something as simple as the thermistor (or 'oven sensor')?

Thanks

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
When you say "bad temp control", could that be something as simple as the thermistor (or 'oven sensor')?

Could be yes....but I am not familier enough with Wolf products to know the guts of it....I have enough grey hair now without adding Wolf to the picture ;)

Maybe a safety thermostat or something is tripping off since it wants to shut off at the same temp each time?!?

jeff.

jimbarr

Did you find out what is wrong - I'm in the same boat. I would like to fix my 48" dual fuel myself - If you have part numbers you used if you wouldn't mind please list.