Wondering who is satisfied with the washer they have? And ...

MotherTiger

Premium Member
... if you are [satisfied] can you say what kind you have? I am shopping for a new one (after my 25 year-old Kenmore finally "met it's reward" and retired)! It was the transmission, which they don't even make anymore, of course! The poor thing after all these years, it was very sad too! I felt like I'd lost a member of the family! :( [sniff-sniff]!

I don't like what I'm reading on the reviews I'm finding online for so many of them, & I'm thoroughly confused, the more I read! I have decided that I don't want a Front Loader until they "perfect" them better than what it seems they are up to now! When spending a $1,000.00 or so, I don't want to have any doubts and worries about my purchase! Any suggestions from any "happy customers" of any brand, or price, etc. etc. will be appreciated! Please help me find a worthy replacement for my dearly departed old "Kenny" (the Kenmore) and put a :) back on my face! Jake, do you have any good tips for me to look for? I hope so! BTW, what ever happened to the good old Speed Queen washer world? I don't hear much about them at all nowadays! I had one when we were first married, and it was built like a tank (lasted until we got the Kenmore, but not as long-lived as ol' Kenny). ;) 'Buh-bye all...

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Buy another Kenmore or Whirlpool direct drive and there is a good chance it too will last 25 years. They are one of the best top load washers on the market today.

MotherTiger

Premium Member
Thanx For The Replies, Guys!...

I've been looking into a Whirlpool WTW5821SW with a Dual Action Agitator (White/silver metallic 3.2 cu. ft. "Super Capacity Plus" Washer). Would this one be close to what you're talking about? I guess I'm not too sure what you mean by "direct drive". :confused: I do know that it says *No
<TABLE class=product_spec_tab style="WIDTH: 340px"><TBODY><TR><TD>Advanced Technology* and that the controls are mechanical and those things appealed to me, as they sound like what I'm 'used to' ~ am I on the right track with my thinking here? Do you guys have a certain model in mind that might be better than this one? If so, I'd like to know which ones you might suggest. (Boy, the alignment on this message space is kind of 'weird')! I can't take my sentences to the other side of the page! Is that 'normal'? (Or is it just me)?! :( Thanx again, for your advice (at least I feel good that I was sort of focusing in on a Whirlpool)! :) </TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

rickgburton

Staff member
Yes, thats a good model and it's direct drive. Direct Drive means no belts.The motor is mounted to the transmission and the pump is mounted to the motor. It's a good design and it's been around for awhile.

MotherTiger

Premium Member
Thanx one more time!!

Now I really feel like I made a good choice, and I learned something I didn't know before [about the "direct drive"] which is interesting to me and I'm glad to know that! I have been up all night reading and checking out data on every washer made, I think! Now, I can rest easy that my choice was a good one, and as soon as I place my order through Sears online, I can go to bed and sleep half of the day away! I'm so glad I found this Web site and that you steered me in the right direction! Maybe it was *fate*, eh? With those 'credentials' of yours, I am assured that I've made the right decision! I really, really do thank you! I'll be back to let you know how it goes with my *new toy* after I get it! .... :)

'Night All ...
MotherTiger

rickgburton

Staff member
Good luck with your new washer. I can tell you take good care of your appliances so maybe we'll have a 25 year reunion. lol

sunnyday

Premium Member
Whirlpool not so good

I had two Whirlpool washers until a three years ago because I do a lot of laundry, but had very bad luck with both of them and would never buy another. While they washed well, both of their washbins rusted by the time they were two years old, leaving rows of rust spots marching across my family's clothing. Whirlpool, only after considerable complaining on my part, reluctantly replaced each bin with me paying for the labor, only to have the new ones do the same thing with in a year and a half. Something in them rusts. I had never had the problem before or since with any other brand.

On the other hand, my GE which is just over two years old has died entirely according to my repairman, its bearings, etc. and my three year old Maytag is dying. This morning it once again failed to drain. A problem Maytag has not been able to fix ever since I bought it.

I need to find a reliable washer. Does any company make one? Speed Queen seems to be rated highly on net forums, maybe that is what I should buy this week.

rickgburton

Staff member
The problems you had with your Whirlpool washers could have been avoided had you bought them with one added feature, stainless steel tub. You said you do a lot of laundry. Buckles, snaps, and zippers have a tendency to chip the porcelain coating causing rust after time. If you take all the problems of a GE and Maytag and put them together you can name it Speed Queen. Just my opinion.

sunnyday

Premium Member
Thank you for replying. Interestingly, neither the repair man nor I could see any chips or obvious rust on the pair of whirlpool bins that was replaced and I never saw any on the second pair in the time I had them either. I believe something else entirely was rusting inside and the rust spots were from rust being washed from it through the holes and onto the clothes.

However, I was sure to buy stainless bins in the Maytag and GE, but they each have proved to be bad buys due to serious mechanical problems involving bearings and leaking gaskets. The maytag also suffers from a mysterious random problem of not draining and spinning leaving me occasionally with a bin full of water. Their lonely repairmen have been utterly unable to figure it out.

What makes you say that Speed Queen has problems, have you run across a lot? I have seen so many posts from people saying theirs lasts and they love it. Plus the company makes commercial machines, so I would think by extension that what they make would last.

I am loath to get another Whirlpool because in addition to the rust spot problem, the machines tore clothes. I had bought them as they had been highly recommended by Consumer Reports, which to be fair, also warned that they might tear clothing. The warning should have read "will tear clothes", not might - usually my husband's newest and most favorite shirt, too. So I am gun shy of Whirlpools.

Last edited:

Econo Appliance

Appliance Tech
I personally have a 10 year old Whirlpool direct drive and it's never had a single problem.

Stay away from the new brands in Home Depot, like Samsung and LG. Wow those are terrible! Even the Maytag Neptune is one you should stay as far away from as you can!