FIXED Wont drain all the water out

tammie

Premium Member
Model Number
GSD5320D01
Brand
GE
I have a GE Triton dishwasher model number GSD5320D01 and it will not drain all the water out of the dishwasher. We have checked for clogs and have taken the drain hose off the garbage disposal. The water is pumping out. I don't know how much pressure there should be, but it is about as much pressure as a faucet puts out. What do you suggest we try? It seems as though there isn't enough time to let the water drain.

Thanks Tammie

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
tammie wrote:
GE Triton dishwasher ... will not drain all the water out ... We do have water pumping out.
There are 2 fairly common things used on your model D/W which can cause incomplete draining. Behind the bottom rack there is a filter screen with 4 screws holding it in place. Below that is the unit's 'check valve'. There is a part inside the check valve called the "piston and nut assembly" (see the link below) which unscrews. It should move freely up and down. If it doesn't seal completely, the D/W won't pump out correctly and in some cases not at all.

Check Valve WD24X10018 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

The other is a 'flapper valve' inside the exit port of the auxiliary (smaller, secondary) pump. When it fails, it can allow drain water from the drain hose settle back into the tub's sump after the pump stops turning.

Check Valve WD01X10175 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

The piston and nut assembly seems to be the more frequent cause of partial or intermittent draining problems.

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

tammie

Premium Member
You are a genius. Thank you. It was the piston and nut assembly and we now have a very happy dishwasher (me and the GE).:D

deborah_k

Premium Member
I have a GE Triton XL dishwasher Model # GSD6700G00BB and am having the same issue as Tammie. Beginning today, the water is not draining completely. I checked the drain vent for the dishwasher to make sure there was no debris in the pipe and there wasn't so that was not the problem.

The screen at the bottom of the dishwasher is not secured by 4 screws, it is flush with the bottom of the dishwaher. How do I check to see if the piston and nut assembly is the issue?

Thanks,
Deborah

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

**How do I check to see if the piston and nut assembly is the issue?**

Your shouldn't have one.

Most of this style required pulling the d/w out and laying it on it's back to check the drain pump for any gookus or build ups.

jeff.

deborah_k

Premium Member
My husband checked for any buildup in the drain pump and couldn't see any. We decided to run the dishwasher again (empty and without adding detergent) on normal wash to see if it would drain; it did not drain and we noticed some soap suds which surprised us since we not only did not add d/w detergent, there had not been any detergent all week since we hadn't used it since it stopped draining several days ago.

Any ideas why it would do this? Thanks

Merlin1716

Problem Solved! Thanks

We have a GE Triton III dishwasher, model GSD5620, purchased and installed in our new home about 5 years ago. Several months ago, my wife noticed that the tub wasn't pumping out all the way at the end of the cycle. Recently the water had become rather soapy, and she complained that the whole prospect just didn't seem to be too hygienic. I just had to agree!
I got out my trusty screwdriver (and a few other tools) and removed the lower spray arm, then the water return basket filter. I got a bunch of goo outa there (kinda looked like digested cat hair - - yechhhh!), and I figured my problems were over! No such luck, bucko!! Never underestimate the "quality" of American products! That a $600 dishwasher could be rendered helpless at 5 years by an $11 part (actually, most of the piston assembly is fine - it's just the cheap rubber flapper gasket on there that has decomposed - must be all of about 10 cents worth of materials). I'l betcha Bosch and Miele wouldn't tolerate such sloppiness. Oh well - I digress.
My main reason for posting this is to make it easier for the next guy to solve the same problem by pointing out the exact location of that little Piston Assembly Check Valve. To that end, I have included this photo that I hope will be helpful.

See the post above from Dan O!
Thanks again! Merlin :3:

BarelyHangingOn

Premium Member
Very old thread but this is what is happening to me today. I have a GE Quiet Power 1.

The drain was full of goo and water will not empty out of the trap area by the blade.
When I pulled the Piston Assembly Check Valve as per the photo above there was a lot water in there as well.

Do I just need to replace this piece to get my dishwasher working again? It looks like the rubber is shot on mine as the poster above states.

gYQcVSE.jpg

BarelyHangingOn

Premium Member
I replaced the part and it didn't work there is still water in the bottom after running it.

It's a portable dishwasher so iam not sure what or where to check next. The hose goes into the back at the top.

I am not sure where to look for the pink flange part to replace

miketd1

Premium Member
Changing the piston and nut assembly worked!

Gsd5930d00ww

Replacing the piston and nut assembly worked like a charm.

I can't believe I was contemplating buying a new washer due to failure of a part that costs less than $20.

I'm glad I came here first.

You guys are great! Excellent explanation and the video really helped - keep up the good work!

Check-Valve-WD24X10018-01185410.jpg

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Happy we could help :)

jeff.