FIXED WPRB9220C0WW Didn't Spin - now New Problem

Dan Frye

Premium Member
Model Number
WPRB9220C0WW
Brand
GE
Note to Mods: Sorry if this is a duplicate post - I tried to post prior to registration confirmation

Hello all,

I have a GE top loading washer WPRB9220C0WW that does not spin.
After going through all of the diagnostics that were generously provided on this forum, I discovered a problem that I did not see covered here.

After removing the agitator, I discovered that the bottom hub of the inner basket had deteriorated which prevented a connection from the transmission to the tub. I looked at the warranty and noted that the tub assembly is warrantied for life. Since I had registered the washer back in 2004, GE sent me a new one (a $571 part!) for free.
The part they sent was WH45X10060 which superseded part # WH45X10051.

After removing the (nearly impossible to remove) hub nut, I was able to use a gear puller to extract what was left of the bottom of the basket from the transmission shaft. I then noticed that the tranny shaft was a square shape and obviously the hole at the bottom of the tub was round.

There appears to be an adapter pressed into the bottom of my old tub to accept the tranny shaft which is not present on the replacement tub. Since GE is looking at the same parts diagram, they say that no such adapter is listed.

Has anyone experienced this before and can you offer a solution? The “adapter” is in sad shape and I don’t believe it will survive being pressed out and reused. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any ideas folks………….

Dan Frye

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick reply Jake!
That could be it. There is so much corrosion it is hard to tell but I cannot see a split ring on the transmission shaft.
Do you know if the tub rests on the split ring?

Dan Frye

Premium Member
After another review of my machine, I believe this is the part I was looking for. For whatever reason, the parts diagram did not make it clear to me (insert dope slap here!)

Another quick question Jake: Should the rubber tub seal be installed dry or should I use silicone or any other product to install it? I am this far into to the washer and think I should replace the seal as well at this point.

Thanks again Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dan,

Here's the parts diagram for your model: Parts for GE WPRB9220C0WW: Tub, Basket & Agitator Parts

#313 is that split ring, but it says Not Available for your model, I was using a link to a Available split ring for reference.

I don't know what the difference is between the two are, I haven't serviced one that was not available. This model you own maybe slightly different than the normal GE's that did have the split ring available.

#311 is the tub seal which is still available, and no, when I replace the tub seal I never use any silicone adhesive, I install it dry and never had a leak.

Jake

Dan Frye

Premium Member
Thanks again Jake!
I was able to find a split ring. If anyone is reading this and needs one, the new part number is WH02X10265.
Parts should be here tomorrow.
I'll let you know how it all works.............

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Dan.:)

Yes, let us know if that one will work.:)

Jake

Dan Frye

Premium Member
Hello Jake,
The washer responded to treatment. All is well with it.
Thanks again for your help
Dan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Dan, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake