WPRE8150K2WT spin, fill issues

Palmer

Premium Member
Model Number
WPRE8150K2WT
Brand
GE
Our 9-year-old Hydrowave washer stopped completing cycles. It would fill, agitate, drain, and then stop. The display would go dark like it had finished, but the clothes were still sopping wet and soapy. It seemed like it was avoiding the spin part of the rinse cycle, and everything after it.

The motor gave no error codes. The pulley and shaft rotate smoothly by hand, and the belt doesn't seem to be slipping. In diagnostic mode the Wash LED lit in positions 2 and 4. One of the online DIY services suggested the main control board, so I replaced that. It performed exactly the same; the only change was that the Wash LED lit in position 4, but not 2.

They said that pointed to the pressure switch, so I replaced that. Now the machine fills... and fills... until it's so high it splashes over the top of the tub. If I didn't stop it, I think it would flood the basement.

Since the beginning I've been able to make it spin with the Drain and Spin cycle and with the diagnostic menu. I really don't see any mechanical problems. Both the old and new pressure switches show continuity (when disconnected), and an open circuit when I blow into the tube.

I've never seen anything on the motor LED other than flashing every .5 seconds when it's running, and every second when it's not. The motor seems perfectly happy.

So, 1) what did I screw up that's now making it overflow, and 2) before, why wouldn't it spin and finish cycles on its own?

The folks at my DIY site seem stumped. Are there any more tests I can do with the pressure switch connected? Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'm attaching the service manual for your model below, On page 35 it tells you how to Enter the Field Service Mode, then follow the steps and lets see if it pulls up an error code.

Jake

Attachments

Palmer

Premium Member
Thank you very much, Jake. I've put it in diagnostic mode several times; the Wash LED always lit in position 4. There's no mention of that in this guide, but the earlier tech sheet I got says that means a pressure switch error. I tried to attach it here, but it wouldn't stick.

I never did the procedure to "clear" the error code. If it is a real code, will it keep displaying even if the pressure switch is now fine? Will it cause the machine to overfill?

Thanks,

Palmer

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Was the machine overflowing before you replaced the pressure switch? Did you make sure there was NO WATER in the tub before you replaced the pressure switch? In fact blow through that pressure switch hose and that will clear whatever water maybe down in your air dome, then it should work properly.

Jake

Palmer

Premium Member
I made sure the water was below the tube inlet, but it may not have been drained completely.

The last cycle I tried I set the LOAD SIZE selector to SMALL; I didn't use the auto-load sensing. Doesn't that use a timed fill instead of the pressure switch to determine when it's full? Even that was well above the 9" level shown in the service manual.

I took a picture of the tech sheet that was behind the panel of the machine. See all those error choices for position 4? Also, it shows the hot water valve active in position 5, and so on up. That part seems accurate for this machine.

Thanks again.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, the pressure switch controls all levels of what you set it at, it's not time filled that I'm aware of.

but it may not have been drained completely.
It has to be completely empty of ALL water. Then blow through the pressure switch hose.

Jake