• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WRB322DMBW00 Whirlpool Refrigerator - ice maker drips in “on” position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stangfire

Premium Member
Model Number
WRB322DMBW00
Brand
Whirlpool
Whirlpool refrigerator Model WRB322DMBW00.

The ice maker has just developed a drip into the ice tray when it is in the “on” position. It makes ice cubes but because of the drip it becomes a huge ice block in the tray. It only drips when in the “on” position. No drips if the lever is all the way up to the “off” position.

Any suggestions on what to look for if I take it apart?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its the ice maker that's bad.

Another member had this same exact issue with same exact ice maker, and the new ice maker fixed it:

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
W10884390 Icemaker

Let us know how it goes after you replace the ice maker.

Jake

Stangfire

Premium Member
thanks Jake. I removed the ice maker assembly and set it level on my counter top. I poured water into it till it was full. It does not seem to be leaking. Therefore I’m wondering if the water control valve is not closing properly and allowing water to keep trickling into the ice maker and causing a drip.

how do it test the water valve? Where is it located?

If I turn my main water supply back on to the refrigerator will water flow out? Does the valve remain “closed” when the ice maker is removed? I had it turned to the off position before I removed it.
Thanks.

Stangfire

Premium Member
A little more info. With the ice maker removed and sitting on the kitchen counter I poured water into it till it was full. I left it over night and nothing leaked out. Therefore I don't think there is a crack or leak in the tray "tub".

With the ice maker removed from the freezer I turned the main water supply back on to the refrigerator. I have no water dripping in the freezer out of the water spout that feeds the ice maker.

So somehow when it's all hooked up there is a constant drip that must be from water overflowing in the tray "tub". So either the valve is not closing properly when hooked up or the ice maker is telling the valve to stay open just a hair. I'm assuming the ice maker electronically controls the water valve.

Do you still think it's the ice maker? Just get a new one? Something in the electronics must be messed up?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its the ice maker that's the cause of this problem, if your water inlet valve was bad it will be dripping even when the ice maker is removed, you see what I mean?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new ice maker fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.