• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRF535SMBM00 Whirlpool Refrigerator - Ice Maker not Making Ice

g592713

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF535SMBM00
Brand
Whirlpool
Ice maker on fridge not working. Checked the water line and didn’t see any issues with water flow.
Everything else is working with the fridge and freezer.
Would appreciate any advice on other things to check to try and locate the problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Remove the front ice maker plastic cover, it just unsnaps off. Put your multimeter PROBES in L and N on the ice maker module you should get 120 volts.

Now on some models you have to push and hold the door switch in while testing for 120 volts and while forcing a cycle by jumping T and H.

You can force a cycle. You will see test holes with a Letter next to each hole.

(click to enlarge)
IMG-1815.JPG

Short T & H with an insulated piece of wire ( 14 gauge) with the ends of the wire bare approx 1/2" to run the motor, The wire needs to be about 3" long and the ends stripped to make contact in the holes.

Make sure to take the jumper wire out at about a 1/4 to 1/2 a revolution.

You can just make a jumper wire if you have some old wire laying around in your garage or house, then just cut some off, and take off the insulation on both ends about a half inch.

I use a wire stripping tool: Wire Stripper

If you get 120 volts and when you jump T and H the ice maker does NOT start to cycle, then your ice maker is bad.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
W10884390 Icemaker

Jake

g592713

Premium Member
I’ve ordered the ice maker and will be replacing it.

Would appreciate any tips you have on removing and installing the new part if there are any.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You first will need to remove the freezer door, I'm attaching the instructions to do that below.

On page 7 read where it says Freezer Drawer Models.
On page 10 is the photo's that show you and to remove and replace the freezer door.

Then all you do it loosen the top two screws that hold the ice maker in place, some also have one screw on the bottom of the ice maker, that one you remove completely. Then lift the ice maker up from the top two screws you loosened then remove the electrical connector to the ice maker, it just unsnaps off.

Jake

Attachments

• WRF535SMBM00.pdf
    793.2 KB · Views: 511

nvtroutman

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Do you happen to know what the letters indicate on the front of this unit? I've been trying to find a spec on the part but I'm coming up short. I assume that N is for neutral but I'm unclear on the rest.

Thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, look here:
IDI 02 (2).png

nvtroutman

Premium Member
Great! I assume that the letters mean the same no matter the orientation on the module? ex. in the original image the N is located in the lower right, next to the H, conversely, the N is located at the top of the image in which you provided.

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Orientation matters not.:)

Jake