FIXED WRF535SWHZ Whirlpool Refrigerator Hammering sound (with video)

GeorgiaPeach7

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF535SWHZ
Brand
Whirlpool
Model WRF535SWHZ french doors, bottom freezer. No diagnostic done yet.

Please ignore the clanking sound at end of video, the beginning hammering that SEEMS to be coming from that white thing in the back at top is the sound that comes intermiddently. Sounds like an old fashioned sewing machine. We don't use the ice maker ever. I have had the humidity button pushed but am trying it without that pushed. Still made the noise. It does this several times during the day and night for only about 7 seconds

14 months old. Has been making a hammering sound for months. Thoughts? Besides the sound, it works fine. Just worried it's wanting to die.

I had to upload it to youtube, hope that's okay. I can't get the short vid to load at all.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like the fan motor is hitting something. Remove that cover and check the fan.

GeorgiaPeach7

Premium Member
Thank you! Is there a how-to anywhere? Any what would I be looking for? I should have extended coverage via a credit card so I could call a repair person, but would be happy to unplug it, watch and read and check this myself. :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Are we looking at the inside of your refrigerator vent in that video? Or the inside of your freezer vent in that video?

Because if its in the inside of your refrigerator vent in that video, there is no fan behind that cover, just your air damper, and I've seen those air dampers make that sound, to fix it you'd need a new air damper.

Here's the air damper for your model:
WPW10594330

Watch this video to access it:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

GeorgiaPeach7

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Yes, that was in the main refrigerator and it did sound just like the noise was coming from that. In the past, we have always heard it from across the room, but luckily I was hungry and opened the door with my phone in my hand at just the right second! The sound seemed to be right at the back area.

Is this a part that would only be coming on every so often? The sound only happens every so often and only for a few seconds.

GeorgiaPeach7

Premium Member
Oh my ever lovin'. I just watched that video and now I want to tear my refrigerator apart and put it back together again! 😊 #1 Is there a linear path to test for what is the actual cause, or do you ever replace a suspected part, and see if that fixes it? I guess I could inspect fans to make sure they can turn freely and not hit anything but I'm hoping my video is helping with an online diagnosis. If you think this is suspect #1, then I would def be ordering a part.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick and I have seen this many times.

In fact here's one just like yours doing it and the new air damper fixed it:

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I think a piece of ice breaks one of the louvers so when it opens and closes it hits it. Like a baseball card in your spokes..lol

GeorgiaPeach7

Premium Member
Yall nailed it! The frig was given a one time pass for warranty coverage so it was covered and yes it was the damper air control. It was fixed quick as a jiffy, something I could have done for sure, and now it's purring along quiet as a kitten. So happy for the help you gave!