FIXED WRF560SEYM00 Fan shroud freezes up loud noise. Ice build up on coil.

Ken9854

Premium Member
Yeah looks like seal system problem to me to. Your Fluke 336 meter seems to be limited to 600 ohms according to your meter instructions or manual.
Ok good to know about the fluke

The compressor reads 0.5Amps when running

freezer 4.jpg
freezer3.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
how would i trouble shoot the closed system problem? the used appliance place i bought it from did say they replaced the compressor, so maybe they did not do a proper job.
Show that used appliance place where you got it at that photo of your evaporator coil, they will see that only the top coils have frost on them, and the bottom ones do not, they will have to fix the sealed system for you.

Jake

Ken9854

Premium Member
I brought up the issues to the appliance place while back they suggested I bring in the appliance for repair.

to go that route(option A) id have to:
load the unit in a van and bring the appliance to their warehouse 45 min away.
The unit is in a second floor and not easy to move location by myself.
they will probably not fix it the same day so I would have to come pick it up a different day.
mean while this is my home refrigerator so I would have to buy a temporary refrigerator to keep food cold.
ultimately I have no confidence in their ability to fix it, they are junk yard type appliance place in a not so good area of town. after all the trouble I might still have issues with the unit later down the road.

Option B is I call a technician to come fix it. very attractive since Ive been fixing this refrigerator for 6 months now

Option C is I fix it since I have all the tools and coolant, except air acetylene for the welds.

Option D is a temporary fix maybe putting in some coolant to see if it runs for 6 months. Then sell it disclosing the problem to the next buyer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can do Option B or Option D.

Jake

eliot764

Ken, I have a similar problem and have just replaced the thermistor with the new kit. Did u end up resolving ur issue with that replacement or was it a seal problem?

thepolish

Premium Member
I'm also curious on this , same issue with my wrf560sey*00 (* for me is M). I've been maunally defrosting for about 2 months now every week but finally have time to try and fix. I read the TSB and this thread, but am nervous about this sealed system problem being possible with regard to only 1/2 the coils being frozen. Not sure if its worth replacing the part if I'm going to have to call out for a repair anyway, or if it ends up being 900 I'll just buy a cheap fridge instead.

IMG_20191011_0721000.jpg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its definitely not a sealed system issue because the coils below the massive frost/ice build-up on top have a thin layer of frost on them, if the sealed system was faulty there wouldn't be a thin layer of frost on the lower coils.

The problem you are having is either the fan is not running properly, defrost problem, or have a air leak coming in and forming condensation and the massive frost build-up on top.

Is that evaporator fan running at all times while your compressor is running?

I did locate a service bulletin on this problem for your model, but let's verify it, please post the serial number of your refrigerator so we can make sure your model is listed.

Jake

thepolish

Premium Member
The fan is on non stop - its how I realized I had a problem in the first place, the not stop wirring of the fan against the built up ice. When I melted the ice off it ran silent for a few days then right back on to the taletail heart of clicking!

With regard to the bulletin - SN is VS32688232 which I think relates to the service bulletin earlier in this thread which says serials to VS609). In the interest of just getting right to it, I went and got a new thermistor and it read 8.7k or so after the ice water test, the old one was less than 2k. (room temp readings taken were around 300 ohm for the old and a few k for the new one) so I think thats the problem.

I melted out all the ice over an hour or so with a heat gun and noticed also the bottom drain was not even dripping. pulled the ground out of some 12-2 I had and snaked it and it started drianing again. I think my problem might be two fold there (drain + thermistor). I went ahead and replaced it and tested my heater as well which measured 30ohm which I believe is spot on, if not it at least isn't open so my thoughts are this may be solved. Just put everthing back (3 hour job including the trip to the store) and I think I will know in about a week - unless there is something I may have missed - which doing this for the first time, maybe! In the mean time need to fix the 25 year old maytag disposal that took a dive this week to haha!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, good, yes All Serials Prior to VS609, so yours is in that bulletin.

This is the part that it says to order:

The Service Kit includes a plastic thermistor, foil, and wire tie. Installation instructions are included in the kit.

Is that the thermistor you got today?

Yes, 2k ohms is way off from 8.7k ohms which would be normal in a glass of ice water waiting at least 5 minutes before ohm testing it.

Jake

thepolish

Premium Member
Yup, thats the part I got and what I have installed now. Checked this morning and it seems like no frost build up yet. Not even a little bit which is good. I'm curious to see if that drip pan in the bottom gets filled at all, it has been bone dry as long as I can remember.

I was able to get that kit locally for about $45 bucks which sure beats the cost of a new fridge!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, hopefully that was all it was, keep us posted.:)

Jake