WRF560SEYM01 Freezer only cools but does not freeze & Fridge does not cool at all

stephanielemus

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF560SEYM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello. I have French door Refridgerator with pull out freezer. Recently, I noticed that the back of freezer started having ice build up and i noticed a loud humming/vibrating noise coming from freezer. The freezer stopped freezing and only cooled like a fridge. The actual fridge however, stopped cooling all together. There is no longer ice build up in the freezer because it no longer freezes. i removed the back panel of fridge and the compressor is warm to touch and the compressor fan is working. The fridge is no longer making the loud humming noise either. I have already unplugged the fridge and let it thaw entirely over night. Plugged it back in and still same results.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It’s possible it didn’t thaw completely overnight. If there’s a defrost problem overnight is not long enough. It usually needs 24 hours. Take the cover off the evaporator and check if the frost and ice is gone.

stephanielemus

Premium Member
Correction: There is frost at the back of the freezer. I haven't taken off the inside panel but there is clearly ice. I think it may be the evaporator fan but I won't know until I take off the inside panel. I hear no noise coming from the fan.

stephanielemus

Premium Member
WRF560SEYM01 is the full model number. I removed the inside panel of the freezer and found that it was completely frozen over. The evaporator fan clearly could not move at all as it was surrounded by ice. I chipped away at the ice and plugged the fridge.

The evaporator fan is working fine. I have checked the compressor and the compressor fan. They are both working. Drain hose is draining fine and as the freezer began to thaw there was water in the drip pan. One thing I did not check until yesterday was underneath the fridge. The coils are completely covered with lint and dust.

With the help of a friend we tilted back the fridge and used canned air to spray clean the coils underneath and also removed the back bottom panel and clean those as well. I am thinking that the freezer couldn't breath causing the initial issue in the first place. The fridge/freezer are still thawing. Looks okay but I want to make sure it completely thawed before I plug back in. I am hoping that the dirty coils was this issue.

rickgburton

Staff member
stephanielemus said:
I am hoping that the dirty coils was this issue.
Unfortunately it's not. Since we're on the subject, the condensor coils should be cleaned once a year or twice a year if you have pets. When they're blocked you get poor cooling and long run times. I do ours each year when we switch to daylight savings so I remember.

One of the defrost components has failed in your machine. We'll figure out which one but the last thing you want to do is "chip away at it". I cringed when I read that. If you slip and puncture a coil, it's game over. With the price of a refrigerators being north of $1000, it can be a very expensive lesson.

It's important that you get all the frost and ice out. Use a hair dryer with the cover off and it shouldn't take more than an hour to defrost it. Put some large towels down. Water will fill the drip pan. Keep the hair dryer on the coils for about 10 minutes after the frost is gone. This will give the water a chance to drain and dry the coils.. The evaporator fan pulls the air across the evaporator coils then pushes it into the fresh food section through a damper and back into the freezer. The temperature of the evaporator coils is -30° to -35°. When there's no defrost cycle the frost on the coils builds up until the entire evaporator is like a block of ice. Now there's no airflow across the coils and the fan can only blow the air in front of the evaporator. Ice and frost is a good insulator.

The defrost system consists of a defrost heater, a thermal fuse instead of a defrost thermostat, and the control board. Use a meter to check the defrost heater and fuse for continuity. If they check good replace the main board.

stephanielemus

Premium Member
Thank you for this information. Right now everything is working. However, it may reoccure again. I am not buying any meat this time. If it happens again I will check the 3 components that you stated. Can you please send links on how to replace these parts for my model if you have any?

rickgburton

Staff member
The defrost heater runs half way down the sides and across the bottom of the evaporator. It will unclip from the evaporator.

The thermal fuse is part of the wiring harness. Follow the brown wire that connects to the defrost heater backwards and you'll find the thermal fuse. If it's open take a picture of the fuse and post it here I'll see if I can match it with something that will work:

The main board is next to the compressor in a plastic box.

stephanielemus

Premium Member
Thank you so much for the part info! I hope I do not need them. Since I cleaned the coils the freezer and fridge are working great. It's been 2 days and it still hasn't frozen up. There is no frost on the freezer anymore :) I am watching it closely though.

rickgburton

Staff member
By cleaning the condensor coils you'll get better cooling and shorter run times but you haven't fixed anything. When you defrosted the evaporator you took the place of the defrost system. Your refrigerator uses adaptive defrost. The main control board stores the information from the thermistors, compressor run time , amount of door openings and the length of time the defrost heater was on during the last defrost cycle then uses this information to start the next defrost cycle. The length of time between defrost cycles can be anywhere between 9 and 99 hours. It takes many missed defrost cycles before the frost builds up on the evaporator coils enough to affect the cooling in the machine. Since you haven't fixed anything yet, and I've never seen a refrigerator fix itself, the same problem is going to happen again. The question is when. It usually takes between one to six weeks depending on the size of the refrigerator, how much use it gets and how full it is. It's easier to check the heater and defrost fuse before it becomes packed with frost again. You'll need to go through the process of defrosting it again. Using a hair dryer will take you about an hour to defrost it. Letting it defrost by unplugging the machine with the freezer door open takes about 24 hours.

stephanielemus

Premium Member
Hi Rick. How right you were. Yup. It's freezing over again. I will have to determine what is the issue out of the 3 scenarios that you provided. Thank you so much for your help.

stephanielemus

Premium Member
I'm back and attempting to fix my fridge. What I did was replaced the defrost heater. It is freezing over again. I used a blow dryer to defrost the coils. One thing I noticed is after I defrosted the coil to replace the defrost heater there was no water in the drain pan. Is this normal? The little nosil at the end of the drain pipe was not clogged either. I removed it and ran it under water from my sink. There was no issue with water running through it. Any thoughts?

stephanielemus

Premium Member
well as I was melting the ice from the coil it would drip down to the bottom of freezer and I had a towel there. I thought for sure though some would end up in the drain pan. There was a lot and i mean a lot of ice. A sink full.

rickgburton

Staff member
Run some hot water through the drain and see if it comes out in the drip pan.