WRF736SDAF10 Whirlpool French Door Ice maker problems

Geoff Stoner

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF736SDAF
Brand
Whirlpool
Ice maker stopped working.
used some of the help on similar model and did diagnostics which showed Ice maker not returning to home so confirmed the ice maker motor is probably bad.
problem i have is the ceiling design of my refrigerator is different than what is pictured in this video
https://www.facebook.com/ricksappliancerepair/videos/924434270953389/

the ice maker design is the same, but the fascia only covers the ice maker itself. the ice maker ceiling is smooth and the LED lights are integrated so no dome and the ceiling comes to the front and angles up to the door frame.
with a little prying i can see the same screw that holds the icemaker in place shown in the above video but i cant get to it as i cant figure out how to remove the ceiling.
I tried prying the ceiling away from the front frame to see if it would pop like the fascia in the video but no luck, or I'm timid as i dont want to crack the plastic. is there a resource or even an explosion diagram that shows how the ceiling is attached so i can get it out of the way and remove the screw so i can remove the ice maker?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Geoff.

Let us know if the new ice maker fixes it.:)

Jake

Geoff Stoner

Premium Member
still not getting it :(

so got the ceiling out of the fridge. Removed the one screw from the right front of the ice maker assembly, the 2nd screw noted in the service manual near the left front is missing. the video given shows the front of the ice maker should just hang at this point, but it doesnt, its like there is another screw somewhere. its up there snug, even tried a little light prying with a small flathead screwdriver. am i missing anything? figure 31 on pg 5-15 only shows 2 screws then pop it out.

IMG_0001(1).jpg IMG_0002.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Pull the assembly forward then it will drop down and out.

Jake

Geoff Stoner

Premium Member
got it, thanks, some ice was built up in the back of the icemaker unit glueing it to the back wall of the fridge. a good pull broke it loose.
next issue. the auger motor keeps getting ice build up around it and freezes up. I saw antother post and maybe the seal needs replaced?
WP2198628?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Geoff, glad you got the ice maker out and replaced.:)

Yes, that's the seal(Video Included):
WP2198628 Drive Shaft Seal

Jake