WRF736SDAM11 Whirlpool Gold Not Making Ice

KMMOM

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF736SDAM11
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool Gold that is not making ice. I have run diagnostic test and it says the ice maker is working. However, under Service Test - 58 Ice Maker Heater Activation and Thermistor it codes 10 (warmer than harvest temp) I’m not sure what this points to, if anything at all or where to go from this point? I looked at a thread that suggested the problem could be the filter?

0EE78A9E-F4D7-4DF7-8AB1-120E1C04C811.jpeg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'm attaching the tech data sheet for your model below. Do TEST 56 and TEST 57 and let us know what you get.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
WPW10764668 Ice Maker Assy-Lp

Jake

Attachments

KMMOM

Premium Member
The water filter switch status after testing is saying the switch is closed (water filter not installed) However, a brand new filter is in it. Could this be the problem?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, is the part number on it from Lowes EDR2RXD1?

Have you replaced it before for the Lowes one?

If so, and it worked fine, then take it back to Lowes, its possibly defective.

Jake

KMMOM

Premium Member
Ok, is the part number on it from Lowes EDR2RXD1?

Have you replaced it before for the Lowes one?

If so, and it worked fine, then take it back to Lowes, its defective.

Jake
Jake,

I checked this yesterday it is the correct filter. Also, thinking maybe this was the problem, I bought a new filter and installed it yesterday. Still no ice production and the code that says no filter installed is still the same?

Ashley

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Ashley, this is a newer model that has something called a "smart filter switch" I can see it on your tech data sheet but I can't locate it in your parts diagram, so I will need to ask Rick if he knows where to find it.

Do Service Test - 67 Water Filter Switch Status

That switch may be bad.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's what I don't know, I messaged Rick to see if he knows.

Rick should be here shortly.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait I just found it, its on page 5-7 of your service manual here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RC_TwqEUEt3auvQDQeeaxHkKZ3XZ7mmc

Its quite a job to get to it, but it shows you the steps.

Wait, it gets even better, I found a video on how to access it, click the part link to it below, they call it a door switch, but its your filter switch:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

KMMOM

Premium Member
Wait I just found it, its on page 5-7 of your service manual here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RC_TwqEUEt3auvQDQeeaxHkKZ3XZ7mmc

Its quite a job to get to it, but it shows you the steps.

Wait, it gets even better, I found a video on how to access it, click the part link to it below, they call it a door switch, but its your filter switch:

Let us know what you find.

Jake
Awesome! I’ll get the part ordered. It didn’t look too difficult. I hope this will fix the problem 🤞🏻I will let you know what happens. Thanks for helping me work this out!

Ashley

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Ashley, I learned something new too.:)

Yes, let us know how it goes.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, got here too late. Went fishing and stayed the night at Strawberry . Looks like you found it. It's a door switch.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its ok Rick, I had a feeling you went out of town again, Hope you had a good time.:)

Jake

KMMOM

Premium Member
Update: Installed the new switch still no change in the status. Service Test 67 still test 02, switch closed filter not installed.

Under Service test 58 I’m getting temps warmer than harvest temps. Could that be my issue?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
KMMOM said:
Service Test 67 still test 02, switch closed filter not installed.
Make sure the black wire is on the COM switch terminal and the light blue/black wire is on the NC switch terminal. Temp warmer than harvest temp is normal if the ice maker went through a harvest cycle or if test 56 or 57 was run. Unplug the machine and check for continuity between the small terminal on the power cord and P2-4 on the main board.

Last edited:

KMMOM

Premium Member
The COM wiring looks correct. My problem with the ice maker started after a power out in a thunderstorm we had here. I’m not sure about your last instruction I will need to find some instructions on how to do that. Just a single mom trying to avoid a repair call if I can manage it.