WRF736SDAM11 Whirlpool Gold Not Making Ice

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
On the door switch you just installed there's two wires that go to the switch but the switch has three terminals. The terminals on the switch are marked "C" (common), "NO" (normally open), and "NC" (normally closed). The black wire should be on the "C" switch terminal and the LBU/BK wire should be on the "NC" switch terminal.

All the tests you have run so far are good except the filter switch. I'm not sure if this can keep the ice maker from working but it's possible. The black wire on the switch comes from the black wire or L1 in the power cord. The blue/black wire on the switch goes to P2 pin 4 on the control board. With the filter installed the switch should read open. By checking for continuity between the power cord and the board P2-4 you'll be able to tell if the switch is open or closed without accessing or removing the switch. The main control board is on the back of the machine.

You can either go in through the back of the connector or the front. If your meter leads are too big use the safety pin trick.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
How did you determine that? Was there a cooling issue besides the ice maker not working?

KMMOM

Premium Member
No, not to my knowledge, I came in and the front touchscreen was alarming. The alarm would go off then go quiet then it would go off and go quiet. The fan on the fridge was louder than normal. So I finally had to break down and call someone. The guy came out looked in the freezer behind the drawers it had a 2 inch sheet of ice so he had his answer and I had mine. Thank you for your help maybe next time I’ll get lucky and be able to fix it myself and not be out 600.00 I don’t have lol

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is strange, it's very unusual to have these two problems at once.

So did the tech actually ohm test the defrost thermostat while it was covered in frost? Because again it's very rare to need to replace both the defrost thermostat and control board at the same time for a auto defrost problem. Unless he ordered the control board to fix the smart filter switch problem too?

The defrost thermostat on this model only comes with the evaporator fan motor.

Here it is below, its the black round part with the metal clip on it.

Evaporator Fan Motor WPW10514110

Let us know what you find.

Jake

KMMOM

Premium Member
He didn’t do any test just listened to it and saw the sheet of ice in the freezer. Here’s the parts he ordered.
See Attachment

This is strange, it's very unusual to have these two problems at once.

So did the tech actually ohm test the defrost thermostat while it was covered in frost? Because again it's very rare to need to replace both the defrost thermostat and control board at the same time for a auto defrost problem. Unless he ordered the control board to fix the smart filter switch problem too?

The defrost thermostat on this model only comes with the evaporator fan motor.

Here it is below, its the black round part with the metal clip on it.

Evaporator Fan Motor WPW10514110

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I noticed there was no labor charge on that ticket, no trip charge either. Why didn't they at least add labor? I drop the trip charge on my local service calls when customers have me fix it, but I at least charge labor.:)

Jake

KMMOM

Premium Member
I could be a really likable person? LOL That was just the parts order form the labor is going to be around 45.00 and the trip charge is 88.00 so yeah, I wish I was THAT likable. Have a happy and safe 4th!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's interesting, I change $50 for my trip charge, then drop the $50 and add my labor, which for this job would be $91. Sears charges $89 for their trip charge here in my area.

Happy 4th of July to you too!

Jake