• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WRF736SDAM13 Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter Stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

njchoochoo1

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF736SDAM13
Brand
Whirlpool
Good Day,

My step daughter has the above referenced refrigerator and the water filter will not release. I have drained some water from the line, tried channel locks as I could not turn it with no luck. It’s possible that an incorrect filter was installed and that’s causing the issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and I hope this message finds everyone well.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Make sure you're turning CCW. If you have hard water the mineral deposits around the o'rings acts like cement. If it was the wrong filter it probably wouldn't install correctly.

EDR2RXD1 Whirlpool EveryDrop Refrigerator Water Filter:
EDR2RXD1 Whirlpool Everydrop Ice and Water

njchoochoo1

Premium Member
I am, and it does turn CCW for a bit and then stops. I literally grabbed it with channel locks and couldn’t get it past the same place and actually scratched the outside of the filter. Possible that I need to remove the top of the fridge to gain access? Would anyone have any idea of how to go about that if that’s the solution? I appreciate your reply Rickgburton. Thank you.

rickgburton

Staff member
.... and it does turn CCW for a bit and then stops.
It only turns 90°
water filter.jpg

njchoochoo1

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply. It’s either not turning quite far enough to release or it’s just not releasing. It won’t pull out.

rickgburton

Staff member

njchoochoo1

Premium Member
So I’m actually breaking the receptor of the water filter to get it out and replacing it? I’m assuming that replacing the it is fairly easy?

rickgburton

Staff member
I don't know what's holding it in and it sounds like something is going to break before you get it out. You have a new filter and I gave you a link to the filter head.

njchoochoo1

Premium Member
Hi folks,

As my step daughter lives several states away from me I was unable to attempt the repair before I left for home. As she is ok not having the filter changed by a tech I will attempt it the next tine I visit. Hopefully not a really long time with the state of the country. Thanks again and stay safe everyone.

njchoochoo1

Premium Member
Hi everyone,

I did the repair and things came out and went back together according to a video I found of the replacement procedure. I now have created another problem. The water goes into the filter and no further. I looked at the old housing and installed it the same way I thought, part numbers up on old and new. When I remove the filter water sprays for a second under pressure. I double checked all electrical connections and all are good. Using a generic filter with a matching part number. Would installing the housing reverse cause this type of issue? Thanks again and I hope everyone stays safe.

Stan

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member

njchoochoo1

Premium Member
Hi everyone,

I did the repair and things came out and went back together according to a video I found of the replacement procedure. I now have created another problem. The water goes into the filter and no further. I looked at the old housing and installed it the same way I thought, part numbers up on old and new. When I remove the filter water sprays for a second under pressure. I double checked all electrical connections and all are good. Using a generic filter with a matching part number. Would installing the housing reverse cause this type of issue? Thanks again and I hope everyone stays safe.

Stan
I don't think you can install it backwards but I'm not sure.

They don't always work.
Thanks Rick. Can you take me a step further in case the new filter doesn’t work so I’m prepared? Thanks for your time.

Stan

njchoochoo1

Premium Member
Fixed!! Always helps to make sure something doesn’t accidentally become disconnected. Water side of inlet valve came off. Replaced connector and everything works. I greatly appreciate your help with this Rick. Thanks again.

Stan

Status
Not open for further replies.