FIXED WRF736SDAM14 Ice maker water line freezing

saaberdog

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF736SDAM14
Brand
Whirlpool
The ice maker in my whirlpool French door refrigerator stopped working. I replaced the ice maker and it was working good. After making ice for a few days it stopped working. I found no water in the ice maker. If I command the water to fill using the diagnostics in the control panel the water valve will work. I found the water line is freezing. It has never done this until I replaced the ice maker. Did I do something wrong?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It has never done this until I replaced the ice maker. Did I do something wrong?
Save your old ice maker. It's still good. The diaphragm in the ice maker side of the water valve is not closing completely and a small amount of water leaks past. When it gets to the ice room, it freezes. When it builds enough ice it blocks the fill tube end of the water line.

Replace the water valve and you'll be good to go:
Water Inlet Valve WPW10341329

saaberdog

Premium Member
Thanks. The old ice maker motor would not run. I used the control panel to activate a harvest and the motor never moved.

saaberdog

Premium Member
I ordered the water valve. Also is there a way to test the heater on the ice maker water line? I have voltage to the connector but the heater wire doesn't feel warm. Do you know what the resistance of the heater should be ?

saaberdog

Premium Member
I have replaced the water valve. The ice maker made a few trays of ice then stopped. I checked and the water line to the ice maker is frozen again. I didn’t have this problem before I removed the ice maker. The first time I took it apart to see what was wrong the water line was not frozen. That’s why I think I did something wrong when I reassembled it. I just can’t find it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

rickgburton

Staff member
Service test #19 turns the fill tube heater on and off. Check if it's off.

saaberdog

Premium Member
It is on. I have about 120v at the connector. The heater has 2K ohms resistance. That seems high but I know high resistant in a wire is how the heater gets hot.

rickgburton

Staff member
That seems high to me also. I've been looking for the tech sheet. It might say on there.

saaberdog

Premium Member
The spec sheet with the refrigerator only has the freezer evaporator heater resistance listed. It is only 30.4 ohms. I was going to order a new heater for the water line but can’t find it in the parts list.

saaberdog

Premium Member
I think I fixed it. I removed the ice maker assembly and when I removed the top where the ice maker is I found the seal around the top section was damaged. I think it was letting freezer air into the area where the water valve is. The water dispenser line froze over the weekend. I sealed the top of the ice maker assembly and reinstalled it. I now have a full bin of ice and the water lines are not freezing anymore.