• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRF736SDAM14 Not Making Ice and Isn't at operating temp

RobSPec90

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF736SDAM14
Brand
Whirlpool
I ran test 56 and got error E5

I read that it's a possible bad thermistor? Where is this located and where can I purchase the correct one?

p.s. I installed a new ice maker, and it made no change

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Rob,

Service Test - 56 Ice Maker Error Codes
E0 = No Errors, Functioning IceMaker.
E1 = No Cooling, IM timed out. Ice compt. unable to reach desired temps. Possible cooling or fan issue.
E2 = Motor Lost Position, IM didn't find home during harvest and exceeded Max attempts. Check for obstructions in IM, If none found verify operation of IM.
E3 = Heater Time-out, Ice mold heater was "ON" longer than Max allowable. IM heater is driven to a temp., if temp. not reached a time delay shuts it down. Possible heater issue.
E4 = Dry Cycle, Unit detected dry-cycles above Min rqmt. Possible valve or frozen fill tube.
E5 = IM Bad Thermistor, Ice Storage temp satisfied but Ice Mold in frozen state to long. Possible an ice mold thermistor issue.

What is the temperature in your ice maker compartment?

Also, If the ice box fan isn't working it won't get cold enough to make ice.

Is the ice box fan running?

Jake

RobSPec90

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

Temp in Ice Box is 37 degrees

It made about 6-8 cubes of ice in 2 days

The fridge itself isn’t very cold at all, where’s the fan located? I don’t believe I hear it running

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's way too warm.

It should always be below 16 degrees.

What's the freezer temperature? Do you hear your freezer fan running?

The ice box fan is located behind the ice maker.

The fridge itself isn’t very cold at all
What's the temperature inside the refrigerator?

Jake

RobSPec90

Premium Member
Freezer temp has not changed at all, everything in there is well frozen, if the freezer fan is in the back of the refrigerator at the bottom it is running. Seems the only issue is the fridge. Do I have to remove the ice maker again to access the fan?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BjeP_7mfspfMs0TBxsx5UuezJjPo2G5i

Also look at Rick's post #2 here:

Do Service Test - 36 Ice Box Fan
--->Check for fan operation. Control Ice Box Fan using SW3. Display the status on Temp Display. (01 = ON, 02 = OFF). Verify air flow from the IB fan.

When you have it in SERVICE TEST 36 at (01=ON) you should be getting 14 volts DC to it to make it the ice box fan run. If its not running pull your refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the control board cover on the back of your refrigerator and put your multimeter probes on P14-3 P14-4 and see if you get 14 volts DC there, if not then your control board is bad. If you do get 14 volts DC there, order the ice box fan motor.

Do Service Test - 37: Ice Box Thermistor
--->The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display the results on the Temp display (01 = pass, 02 = open, 03 = short).

Here's the control board for your model: W10854027 Cntrl-Elec

Here's the ice box fan for your model(Video to replace it is in the part link):
Fan Motor W10846539

Jake