WRF736SDAM14 Whirlpool not holding ice or making ice

Justin Klutenkamper

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF736SDAM
Brand
Whirlpool
So I have a Whirlpool french door bottom mount Gold Series refrigerator. Yesterday I noticed a good amount of water in the catch tray and down the front of the door I thought maybe ice had gotten caught and fallen over night and melted.

When I came back from work I saw that all the ice in the holding bin had melted and the ice maker is not producing any new ice.

After doing some quick research I pulled the filter overnight letting the bypass take over hoping it was just a clogged filter even though the water dispenser is working fine(wishful thinking).

This morning still again there is no ice and I double checked that the ice sensor was not turned off. If it was just not producing new ice I would think it was a supply issue, but with the ice melting in the bin it sounds more sinister. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Justin,

What's the serial number of your refrigerator? Its on the model number tag.

Serial Numbers Prior to K242 have a service bulletin on them.

I asked our tech. bigbuck if he has the tech. data sheet for this model.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Go in the service test mode and run the following tests. Post the results of the tests.

To ENTER SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS MODE:

Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds.

Release both buttons when you hear the CHIME indicator.

Unit must not be in Lockout prior to entering SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE.

The display will show 01 to indicate the control is in step 1 of the diagnostics routine.

To EXIT SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS MODE:

Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds, disconnect the product from power or wait 20 minutes.

Following the exit of the diagnostic mode, the controls will then resume normal operation.

Each step must be manually advanced. Press SW5 to move to the next step in the sequence.

Press SW4 to back up in the sequence to the previous step.

Diagnostics will begin at Step 01.

Each step is displayed in the two digits of the dispenser user interface display.

The step results are displayed in the two digits on dispenser user interface display 2 seconds after the step number is displayed.

An amber order filter light will be shown to designate that the step number is being displayed

A red replace filter light will be shown to designate that the status of the step is being displayed.

Use this diagram for the switch numbers and run the following tests:
R-displayswitch numbers.jpg

Service Test - 36 Ice Box Fan
• Check for fan operation. Control Ice Box Fan using SW3. Display the status on Temp Display. (01 = ON, 02 = OFF). Verify air flow from the IB fan.

Service Test - 37 Ice Box Thermistor
• The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display the results on the Temp Display (01 = Pass, 02 = Open, 03 = Short)

Service Test - 56 Ice Maker Error Codes
• Displays active Ice Maker Error Codes on the UI display.
E0 = No Errors, Functioning IceMaker.
E1 = No Cooling, IM timed out. Ice compt. unable to reach desired temps. Possible cooling or fan issue.
E2 = Motor Lost Position, IM didn't find home during harvest and exceeded Max attempts. Check for obstructions in IM, If none found verify operation of IM.
E3 = Heater Time-out, Ice mold heater was "ON" longer than Max allowable. IM heater is driven to a temp., if temp. not reached a time delay shuts it down. Possible heater issue.
E4 = Dry Cycle, Unit detected dry-cycles above Min rqmt. Possible valve or frozen fill tube.
E5 = IM Bad Thermistor, Ice Storage temp satisfied but Ice Mold in frozen state to long. Possible an ice mold thermistor issue.

Service Test - 57 Ice Maker Harvest
• Press SW3 to activate a Harvest sequence. Digit 1 displays the state of the sequence. Digit 2 displays the outcome of the sequence. Once initiated, the sequence cannot be exited.
Digit 1 0 = Heater and Motor OFF, 1 = IM Heater ON, 2 = Motor Rotating CW until it finds home position.
Digit 2 0 = In Progress, 1 = Harvesting Completed, 2 = Harvesting Not Completed, Doors must be closed.
NOTE: Harvesting Not Completed does not exit the step, but indicates the timeout of 70 seconds has passed.

Service Test - 58 Ice Maker Heater Activation and Thermistor
• Press SW3 to activate the Ice Maker Heater and to toggle between On and Off. Digit 1 displays the state of the heater. Digit 2 displays the thermistor state.
Digit 1 0 = IM Heater OFF, 1 = IM Heater ON
Digit 2 0 = Temp warmer than harvest temp, 1 = Temp cooler than harvest temp, 2 = Open, 3 = Short

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, good timing Rick, that's what I was looking for to post to him.:)

Jake

Justin Klutenkamper

Premium Member
Guys, first of all thank you so much for the replies!!!

So Jake the Serial Number is K61004659 which sounds like it may be after the service bulletin, I purchase in Mid 2016.

I checked again last night after I got home and feels like the cooling has shut down completely on the ice maker as there is no cold air coming from the unit. After pulling off the front vent cover I thought I would find the service sheet but did not, but at least got to clean out the coils while I was there, lol. I did not see your guys responses until I got to work today so I will run the diagnostic tonight and let you know what I find.

Thanks again for your help!!

Justin Klutenkamper

Premium Member
Ok, So I was able to sneak away and check the error codes.

#36 = 01
37 = 01
56 = E2
57 = 0 - I may have not done this correctly
58 = 01

rickgburton

Staff member
WPW10764668 Ice Maker Assy-Lp

57 = 0 - I may have not done this correctly
Service Test - 57 Ice Maker Harvest
• Press SW3 to activate a Harvest sequence.

Digit 1 displays the state of the sequence.
0 = Heater and Motor OFF,
1 = IM Heater ON,
2 = Motor Rotating CW until it finds home position.

Digit 2 displays the outcome of the sequence.
0 = In Progress,
1 = Harvesting Completed,
2 = Harvesting Not Completed, Doors must be closed.

Justin Klutenkamper

Premium Member
Rick,

I assume you sent a link to the part saying that I need to replace that? If so any special tools needed that would require a certified tech or is it pretty straight forward to complete myself?

For 57, I am just going to list what I get when I go through the test

Once test 57 is selected:
After a brief period a 0 starts flashing
I hit SW3 then a 1 starts flashing
Leaving the 1 flashing for awhile then a 20 starts flashing
After a longer period 02 then flashes

Not sure if that helps or not, but I really appreciate your guys help!

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, Test 57 confirms the ice maker can't find home position. No special tools needed.

Justin Klutenkamper

Premium Member
Thanks Rick! Just so I understand before I place an order. The part that you referenced should fix the issue according to the error codes that were thrown? Sorry just wanted to be sure before I ordered $100 part. lol

rickgburton

Staff member
Correct, It should fix the problem. If it doesn't fix the problem you can return it for a full refund less shipping.

Justin Klutenkamper

Premium Member
Rick,

So latest update is that I just attempted to replace the maker. Took awhile b/c been busy then the old one would randomly start making ice again. After tearing it down the old unit has two wire harnesses one the runs to the coil and the other to the motor. When I got the new one it was all combined into one harness. Any ideas or best to contact Whirlpool? Unfortunately it is not allowing me to attach photos.

The latest part number I found was W11188383

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member

Justin Klutenkamper

Premium Member
So the original one you showed AP6024044 had only one connector and they are identical units except it has all the wires going to one black connector and the W11188383 has one smaller white connectors and you can see the smaller one in the top right corner of the picture you just posted.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
I don't know if there's a misprint or what. The parts site says ice maker part number W10746960, substitution W11188383:
Snapshot_6.jpg
Check with the parts company with your model number.

Justin Klutenkamper

Premium Member
Thank Rick. I did call Whirlpool and they confirmed that W11188383 is the correct part, the rep said something along the lines of that is now the replacement part number so sounds like there was some kind of change. I do have the correct part on order now so fingers crossed, although now that I have disassembled the unit and put it back together the old one is now working great, go figure but I will still replace it. Really thank you again for all your help!!!!

Justin Klutenkamper

Premium Member
Yeah I don't think that was the case. While I was waiting for the part to arrive the machine would start making ice one day and then it would stop and the ice it made would all melt so I would say you are dead on and that unit is just bad.