WRF736SDAM14 Whirlpool not holding ice or making ice

Justin Klutenkamper

Premium Member
So new update. After I ended up taking apart the machine and finding I had the wrong model replacement I put it back together and the old unit started working like a charm. So instead of sending back the new unit I held on to it since I was pretty skeptical. Sure enough the original ice maker stopped working last Sunday. I replaced it with the new unit and it started working immediately had ice for a couple days then the new one stopped making ice a day ago. I went through the diagnostic this morning and there were no errors codes and did the ice harvest and all the other test recommended last time and no problems. Any thoughts on what I might be missing? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Justin Klutenkamper

Premium Member
I thought that too, but I ran the fan test and I could hear it kick on and run during the test. I was just at a bit of a loss since I am not getting anything in error and the water supply is good. Might be time to break down and call for a repair.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The repairman is going to tell you it's the main board. Since both ice makers have the same issue and the ice box fan is working The control board and wire harness is the only thing left. When it stops working take the following DC voltage measurements on the main board:

Connector P6-
P6-1 to P6-2 = 14 VDC

Connector P7-
P7-1 to P7-2 = 5 VDC
P7-5 to P7-6 = 14 VDC

Connector P14-
P14-3 to p14-4 = 14 VDC

Unfortunately the control board has been discontinued and is no longer available.

Justin Klutenkamper

Premium Member
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when you say main board where are your referring to? And do you know where I could find a part number for that, I may see if I can find something on ebay or something. I only bought the kitchen set 3 years ago and already had an issue with the microwave sensors and now this with the fridge, so frustrating! Again I really appreciate your help Rick!

rickgburton

Staff member
The power supply board and the main control board are located under the metal cover on the back of the machine. The parts sites I looked up don't list it because it's NLA. Look on the board and post all the numbers that are on it here and I might be able to tell if one is a part number.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi guys!

Rick, I located his main control board as being in-stock here: W10854027 Cntrl-Elec

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
At Appliance Parts Company, which has stores located all over the Phoenix metro area. I use them as my local appliance parts store if I need to pick up a part same day, like for a emergency no cool.:)

Looks like they have a store in Salt Lake City too.:)

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
I have an account with APC. I get a few parts there but I get the majority from Reliable Parts. Those are the only two appliance parts houses in Salt Lake. That's funny you found the number on APC. I have five parts sites bookmarked in the order that I use them. SP, RC, APP, RP, and APC. I quit looking after the 4th one....Lol

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, this time the 5th one was the charm.:)

Jake

Justin Klutenkamper

Premium Member
Thanks Jake and Rick! I did not get a chance to take a look at the board I am hoping to do that today after work. Not sure if it changes the diagnosis, but the maker has been working intermittently. For a couple days I felt like it would only work if I had it on "Fast Ice" but I cannot be sure as the Fast Ice icon does not stay lit. I do know that it would fill up the ice bin and then if you open the door and look at the ice (I am 6'7" so I do this regularly) the ice would appear like it is days or weeks old due to some shrinkage from not being cold enough, although I have not had any water leaking out the dispenser so I guess it may just be a minor temp difference.