• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRF736SDAM14 Whirlpool Refrigerator Buzzing Noise

dbstott

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF736SDAM14
Brand
Whirlpool
My Whirlpool WRF736SDAM14 has started making a buzzing noise. It is constant. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Didn't make the noise at first but after about 30 seconds it started again.

Any ideas?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You'll need to locate the area it's in. It could be two lines touching.

dbstott

Premium Member
It is in the freezer. Found heavy frost build up in the back of the freezer. Cleaned it off and did a forced short defrost via diagnostic mode. Noise immediately stopped. Been about 10 minutes. Not sure how long the defrost takes or why there was such a build up of frost. Seal appears to be good on the freezer drawer.

Any ideas or next steps you can recommend?

rickgburton

Staff member

dbstott

Premium Member
I have also had an ice maker failure in the past week which I've been told is the brain in the ice maker. Is it possible the enter control unit of the fridge is toast? Is it worth repairing or should I just suck it up and by a new one?

rickgburton

Staff member
I can't answer that. It sounds like you also need a new ice maker. Those two parts could be expensive. Whirlpool machines are good machines. Maybe price a few new ones and go from there.

dbstott

Premium Member
Now the fridge is not cooling. Unfortunately we will replace it. Shouldn't have this magnitude of problems in a 5 year old refrigerator. My take on Whirlpool is not good after this.

Thanks for your quick responses, they helped me diagnose and make a decision. Much appreciated.