• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRF736SDAM14 Whirlpool Refrigerator - Fridge keeps freezing food

enjikari

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF736SDAM14
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello all! I was hoping this was a typical issue, but my forum search mainly turned up ice maker issues. Of all my problems, my ice maker isn't one of them - it's producing ice regularly.

Anyway, my issues are two-fold - one of which is a larger problem:
[all temps are Faren]

1) (I just discovered this a few minutes ago, but) my freezer portion is hovering around the 17-18deg area; it's definitely set to 0deg

2) the main issue - my fridge portion is staying around the 20-22deg area and is slowly freezing my foods therein

I've googled/youtubed some solutions, and so far I've:

- made sure any/all vent areas inside fridge and freezer portions aren't frozen over/blocked
- cleaned coils underneath fridge base (don't have a brush, will buy one soon - just used my vacuum with a long/thin extension)

Haven't hook a meter up to anything, nor have I taken anything apart - not sure where key components are, and kinda wanted a little advice/guidance before I start messing with things I've no experience with. Any help/advice. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Do you hear the evaporator fan running in the freezer when you open the freezer door?

Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BjeP_7mfspfMs0TBxsx5UuezJjPo2G5i

Let's check your thermistors first. FC stands for Freezer Control Thermistor, RC stands for Refrigerator Control Thermistor.

Then check your Evaporator Fan and Air Baffle Motors.

Enter Service Diagnostics per the tech data sheet. Then do these tests below.

Service Test - 1: FC Thermistor
--->The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display flashes results on the Temp display (01 = pass, 02 = open, 03 = short).
Service Test - 2: RC Thermistor
--->The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display the results on the Temp display (01 = pass, 02 = open, 03 = short).
Service Test - 3: Evaporator Fan and Air Baffle Motors
--->Turn on the FC evaporator fan and the air baffle motor.
--->Monitor the air baffle feedback. SW3 (01 = fan on. Air baffle open, 02 = fan on. Air baffle closed).

The FC evaporator fan motor is in the freezer.

Jake

enjikari

Premium Member
Sorry for the late reply. We've been kinda limping the fridge along - as in, it's set to 33 but we're getting temps of 40-44....

I ran these three tests today. I got a 01 PASS for test 1, an 01 PASS for test 2, and for the third I got it bouncing between 01 and 02, seconds in between though. As in it'll be on 02 for like 4 seconds, then it'll go ti 01 for a few, then back to 02 for a few, etc etc

Is that normal? I tried to press SW3 while in the third test mode, but no results. I couldn't manually change anything or manipulate anything while in the 3rd test, or so it seems.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, also in Service Test 3 the FREEZER evaporator fan motor should of been running too, was it?

If not, that would explain the problem you're having.

Here it is for your model you can order:

This video gives you the general idea of how to replace it:

Jake

enjikari

Premium Member
I re-ran TEST 3 and I'm pretty sure I heard it running. I even opened the freezer and could hear a humming, and could see the icy air being blown about.

Just so I'm certain: when I run TEST 3, the only thing I should hear in the freezer area is that, correct?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, correct.

What temperature is the freezer running at now? Is back to normal at 0 to 10 degrees?

Jake

enjikari

Premium Member
Yes, correct.

What temperature is the freezer running at now? Is back to normal at 0 to 10 degrees?

Jake
Yeah the freezer is -0.2, but the freezer hasn't been a problem so far. It's the fridge that could be anywhere between 31 and 42 degrees.

A random thing I noticed, not sure if it's a cause or related or w/e but:

Temp was up to around 41. I had read somewhere about "ice maker" issues, so on a random hunch I emptied the entire ice maker ice bin. The next day, the temp was down to around 31 degrees. It's been that way for a few days now. Even though the temp is set to 37.

I feel this has happened before: the temp will be high-ish (39-42), I empty the ice bin entirely, the temp lowers, and gradually over several days the temp will rise again up to the 39-42 range. Not sure how many days, maybe a week? Just adding observations.

Not sure how this would affect/is directly affecting the fridge temp though. I DO see where the ice port is in the fridge area, but it's sealed separate from the fridge area - and I've checked the seal, it's good.

enjikari

Premium Member
Update:

Fridge has been sitting since last post without me making any changes, and it's down to 27.5deg. It's been that way since yesterday evening. I have the temp set to 37. Freezer is still freezing temp, so freezer is fine.

Some way, some how, the fridge has just started NOT staying around 37deg. It seems to go anywhere from 22deg to 42deg, and the only contributing factor I can tell is emptying the ice bin that stores the made ice cubes.

I'm honestly getting discouraged. Part of owning appliances I know, but this has been an ongoing issue with no real solution in sight. I do have a home warranty, but I'm nervous of a "repeat troubleshooting" charge issue. This isn't a seemingly easy/well-known/common issue, and as such my wallet is trembling, lol..

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I located another member with this same problem and it was the main control board that fixed it.

Look here:

Here's the main control board for your model you can order:

Jake

enjikari

Premium Member
Jake, I realize I haven't said this near enough yet, but sincerely, brother, thank you for all these responses and help. I've been at this for some time now (even before I posted here), and you have stepped up and offered lots of great help. Sorry I haven't said it enough sooner: thank you, very much.

So, since this part is gonna be ~$300 after tax and ship, and I only pay $125 OOP for using my home warranty, I've went ahead and submitted a ticket to have someone come do their work. I'll give them all the info I know, and hopefully they'll go straight to the board as opposed to R2'ing the baffle first THEN the board. Either way, I pay $125 and they fix the fridge, so. Yeah, at this point, if the possible end fix is a $300 board, I'll leave it in their hands.

I WILL keep this thread updated, so please just keep your fingers crossed until the end for me!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake