• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WRF736SDAM14 Whirlpool Refrigerator stopped producing ice completely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Milam

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF736SDAM14
Brand
Whirlpool
Greetings! First of all, thanks for being here.

My less than three year old Whirlpool WRF736SDAM14 has stopped producing ice completely. I replaced the WPW10341329 Valve Assy-Water Dual at the suggestion of one of the online parts suppliers. It was the first in order of likely problems. But no ice yet (5 hours). I can get my fingers in the icemaker enough to know there is no water.

Being an old car guy, I think mechanically. This fridge has the laser across the ice storage bin in the door and as I understand it, if ice (or anything) blocks that beam, no ice. I do wonder if I should be able to see the light on one end or the other?

I'm not too keen on replacing one part after the other until I hit the right one. I think of that as the 'shotgun' approach.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Mike Milam said:
I'm not too keen on replacing one part after the other until I hit the right one.
That method can get real expensive, real fast and before you know it, you're past the point of no return. Let's check the ice maker in service mode. Use this diagram for the switch numbers:
R-displayswitch numbers.jpg

To ENTER SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS MODE:

Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds.

Release both buttons when you hear the CHIME indicator.

Unit must not be in Lockout prior to entering SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE.

The display will show 01 to indicate the control is in step 1 of the diagnostics routine.

Each step must be manually advanced. Press SW5 to move to the next step in the sequence.

Press SW4 to back up in the sequence to the previous step.

Each step is displayed in the two digits of the dispenser user interface display.

The step results are displayed in the two digits on dispenser user interface display 2 seconds after the step number is displayed.

An amber order filter light will be shown to designate that the step number is being displayed

A red replace filter light will be shown to designate that the status of the step is being displayed.

Run these two tests and post the results back here:

Service Test - 57: Ice Maker Harvest

Press SW3 to activate a harvest sequence.
NOTE: Digit 1 displays the state of the sequence. Digit 2 displays the outcome of the sequence. Once initiated, the sequence cannot be exited.

Digit 1

0 = heater and motor off,
1 = ice maker heater on,
2 = motor rotating clockwise until it finds home position

Digit 2

0 = in progress,
1 = harvesting completed,
2 = harvesting not completed. Doors must be closed.
NOTE: “Harvesting not completed” does not exit the step, but indicates the time-out of 70 seconds has passed.

Service Test - 59: Ice Maker Motor

Press SW3 to activate a motor sequence and toggle through each step.
NOTE: Digit 1 displays the state of the motor. Digit 2 displays the status of the motor. Once initiated, the sequence cannot be exited.

Digit 1
0 = motor off,
1 = motor rotating clockwise until home position,
2 = motor off,
3 = motor rotating counterclockwise until home position

Digit 2
0 = in progress,
1 = harvesting completed,
2 = harvesting not completed

To EXIT SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS MODE:

Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds, disconnect the product from power or wait 20 minutes.

Following the exit of the diagnostic mode, the controls will then resume normal operation.

Mike Milam

Premium Member
I'm going to try to attach an image and my reason is I'm not 100% sure if it's a '1' or '0'. Both 57 and 59 gave the same results.

whirlpool display.jpg

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
Doesn't look like either one. Are you sure you're entering the service mode correctly?? Both tests, #57 and #59 have a 2 digit response.

rickgburton said:
Each step is displayed in the two digits of the dispenser user interface display. The step results are displayed in the two digits on dispenser user interface display 2 seconds after the step number is displayed.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, check and make sure the ice maker is turned on. Make sure the water is turned on. Does the water dispenser work?

Mike Milam

Premium Member
Yes the water works. Not sure how to turn on the ice maker though? Didn't know there was an off and on.

UPDATE: Since my earlier posting, I discovered there is now water (actually ice) in the tray now. Maybe it takes 24 hours for it to start making ice? As I mentioned earlier, I replaced the dual water inlet valve yesterday. I did a test on the old valve solenoids and they are as follows: Red side 184 OHMS and the green side 237OHMS. Do those readings mean anything?

Last edited:

Mike Milam

Premium Member
Hate to jinx myself, but we have ice this morning. I'll be watching it to see if it continues. I will post again in a few days. Sooner if it fails. Thanks for the help, your a God send.

Mike Milam

Premium Member
Well...….. it stopped again. A side note, I have also noticed that the ice in the storage bin in the door is warming enough that a little water drips out from the chute and onto the tray below it. Seems like the temp is too high in the bin?

Mike Milam

Premium Member
Thanks Rick. I suspected that, but wasn't sure enough to pull the trigger on buying it unless someone who 'knows' confirmed it. Is there a timing feature within the icemaker that keeps it from allowing water to fill the tray? Also, if the ice maker isn't making ice, would the freezer air supply be stopped as well causing the ice to begin to melt in the storage bin? Sorry for all the questions, but I would like to know for myself anyway.

rickgburton

Staff member
The ice maker can't fill if it's not in the home position. If it didn't have any ice in the mold and started a harvest cycle the heater probably caused the melting

Mike Milam

Premium Member
Quick question: Didn't I see a video of the installation here somewhere? Pretty sure I recall everything in that video, but it wouldn't hurt to review it again. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.