WRF757SDHZ vs WRF767SDHZ?

rmueller23

Premium Member
We are on the cusp of buying a new french door refrigerator. With child #2 coming in November we are outgrowing the 13 year old ~20 cu-ft top freezer Kenmore refrigerator that came with our house. In the course of my research I found applianceblog.com, where I learned about the recommendation for Whirlpool and their brands, and some of the detriments of competing brands. I'm simpatico with the KISS mindset, so we looked at the 25 cu-ft WRF535xxxx series. My wife would prefer in-door water/ice, but she's not wedded to it. There were a few minor items that we weren't wild about, so I kept looking through the Whirlpool lines...

...which led me to the WRF757SDHZ and WRF767SDHZ models. We like a couple more cu-ft of space and prefer the internal organization on these models. They are more complex with the in-door water/ice--hopefully going with a more reliable brand will offset that concern a bit. From what I can see, the only difference between the WRF757 and WRF767 is that the 757 has just the one icemaker in the door, while the 767 adds the freezer ice-maker as well. I presume the door icemaker will suffice for day-to-day use for us, with the freezer icemaker being for family gatherings and whatnot--and just left off and the bin used for normal freezer storage otherwise.

Costco has the 757 at $2349, while Lowes has the 767 at $2609. After accounting for military discount, haul-away, cash-back rewards, etc, the 767 would be about $150 more to get that dual icemaker--I don't know if that's worth it.

Finally, the question: since we're already looking at the added complexity of in-door ice/water, is the addition of the freezer ice-maker that much more of a long-term maintenance risk? Are there other factors that would make the single-icemaker unit preferable from a long-term ownership perspective? I saw a thread from 2019 where Jake said the 757 is "a good one"--and a few more threads about issues with the 767, but that's about it on the forums...

Thank you,

-Ryan

Robert4

Premium Member
If you give me the model number of your top-freezer, I can find out the cu ft capacity.

Also, what is the width of the space that you have available for the fridge?

Last edited:

rmueller23

Premium Member
Hi Robert,

The existing Kenmore is a 253.74225702. I arrived at the approximation from measurements and comparing to analogous models they currently produce. Thanks

Either of these Whirlpools fit in our space. We are relocating the fridge within the kitchen--it will be on the end of a cabinet now, with about 37.25" from the cabinet to the edge of a light switch plate. No obstruction to opening from the adjacent cabinet, and about 71.25" of overhead clearance to a short cabinet above.

Robert4

Premium Member
Your Kenmore is actually a 22 cu ft top-freezer model. Current similar capacity Kenmore top-freezer are wider, but not as deep.

about 37.25" from the cabinet to the edge of a light switch plate.
I'm a little bit confused by what you are saying. Is the new spot for the fridge on the end of a cabinet on one side and the other side is a wall? When installing these French Door models next to a fixed wall, you need to have a 3.75" minimum space between the refrigerator and wall to allow the door to swing open.

Would you like your fridge to produce a lot of ice? The single ice maker version should produce approximately 3 lbs of ice a day, and it can take 3 days to fill the bin.