• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRF767SDEM01 Whirlpool French door freezer section not working

Reserector

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF767SDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Refrigerator was not cooling enough, but freezer worked fine.
The upper section's evaporator had iced up.
I removed the interior and ice maker for access. I thawed the evaporator with a heat gun.

20220920_182910.jpg

Fan was working. All seemed fine, but upper section only gets down to 50 F.
By the next day, the freezer began to thaw. FC fan not working. Led lights work normally with the switch.
Evaporator in freezer was iced at top right where it connects to the system, but the evaporator itself is not cooling at all. I thawed the ice with a heat gun.
20220921_184911.jpg

I have replaced the fan and sensor assembly up top along with the air control to the left of the fan. New,genuine parts. No improvement.
I ordered the freezer fan and sensor assembly, but it is on backorder. So I ordered just the thermistor and defrost switch separately. I compared resistance of the replacement parts to the existing parts and they have the same readings, so I did not replace those.
Defrost heater has continuity.
I've been searching online for my symptoms with no luck. What can I check next?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Evaporator in freezer was iced at top right where it connects to the system, but the evaporator itself is not cooling at all.
You possibly have a sealed system problem. Check your owners manual warranty, some models have a 5 year limited sealed system warranty on them.

You can contact Whirlpool at 1-866-698-2538 and have a tech come out.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know the cause, it just happens at times on some models.

If its not under warranty, your looking at about $500 to $800 to fix it.

Jake

Reserector

Premium Member
Does this look like it may be "the leak"? (On the left. ) All other joints are clean.
What is that? A dryer?

20221002_145401.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's not a leak, that's just extra flux from the factory weld.

Jake

Reserector

Premium Member
Forgive my ignorance when I began this quest for knowledge. I've since done a ton of research this weekend.
For instance, I had no idea how to check for codes or run diagnostics. Here I am with a VOM testing components!
I looked for the tech sheet that I learned should be under the hinge cover, but it's gone. :(

I also learned that I can add some R134a to this thing and maybe get a few years at a time out of it. Because of it has a leak that takes 3 years or so to become a problem, I'm good with topping it off once in a while until we find a deal on a new one.

I ordered a piercing valve and I'm going that route. I really don't have anything to lose.
And if I can save it, I have some spare parts on hand for it. Lol

I'm still quite ignorant, but much more enlightened. I feel like there is a ray of hope. :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't mean to dash your hope, but we don't teach sealed system repair online, its best left to the pros like Rick said here too:

Jake

Reserector

Premium Member
Update (with a part question at the end.):
I added some refrigerant and the unit ran cooler, but not what it should be. Not wanting to overcharge, I decided to add by weight.

I got some help with evacuating the system and recovering the R134a.
I was then able to use my automotive vacuum pump and gauges along with a digital scale to weigh in the required 5.5 Oz.
It now runs at 40 F / 0 F according to thermometers. Unit is set on 36 / 0.

I just finished putting the freezer back together since it has run consistently for days. (I only had the door on the freezer while I was working on the unit. ).
The entire freezer evaporator had light frost on it before I put the back panel in place.
Throughout this entire repair I have not seen nor heard the freezer fan operate. Now that it is all back together, I ran diagnostics and could only make the upper fan run.
The freezer fan is listed with the entire harness, which I tried to order, but they are on backorder from the factory with no proposed date.

My question is this: do you know of a fan motor (only) that I could replace it with? All other components in that harness assembly check good.
The part is Evaporator Fan Motor W11032800

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My question is this: do you know of a fan motor (only) that I could replace it with? All other components in that harness assembly check good.
The part is Evaporator Fan Motor W11032800
Unfortunately not.

Here's the evaporator(freezer) fan motor for your model:
W11032800 Motor-Evap

Yes, looks like its currently on backorder everywhere.

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below, DO--->Service Test - 3: Evaporator Fan and Air Baffle Motors and see if that freezer fan motor runs.

Look at the very bottom in that tech data sheet chart where it says MAIN CONTROL see P14-1 and 14-2--->14VDC--->FC FAN MOTOR OUTPUT ACTIVATE SERVICE TEST 3, STEP 2. Do that SERVICE TEST 3, STEP 2 and that will activate 14 Volts DC on those pins.

Make sure the doors are closed when you run that TEST 3. IF NO 14 Volts DC, then the control board is bad.

Here's the main control board for your model: W10843055

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10795700 - Rev B.pdf
    788.6 KB · Views: 29

Reserector

Premium Member
I was hoping that the motor is available separately to those who are savvy.
I've seen some similar assemblies (for other units) that appear to have the same motor. My thought is that I may be able to get a motor THAT way. That's assuming the motor is bad. I have not had a chance to run the voltage test yet.
Getting ahead of myself, here. First things first.

BTW, a huge thank you for the tech sheet, sir!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.